Hi Friends,
I'm a web developer bit a new to asp.net. I want to access my remote Ms Sql database through Visual Web Developer or Sql management studio but despite of spending so much time and googling I'm not able to do that.
My database( www.peclive.com) is on a server having Plesk 8.1.0 as control panel and has ASP.NET enterprise manager that provides GUI for data manipulation for ms sql databases.

In the Visual Web Developer or Sql management studio
I enter Server name as:peclive.com (tried even with peclive.com/SQLEXPRESS..not sure if this should be the server name format)
SQL authentication with username and password and database name.

Ive even configured sql server express on my PC to allow remote connections and even sql surface area configuration to allow local as well as remote connections

But despite of all these I come across the same error:
TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to peclive.com.

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=53&LinkId=20476

I think that I'm making a mistake in the name of the server instance

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi - There are a host of issues that can cause this, and there is no solution that can be provided here given the information provided.

1. Some hosting providers, such as GoDaddy, so not allow remote inbound our outbound database connections. Check with your hosting provider to see if there are any such policy restrictions.

2. If you are hosting the SQL database:
1. Is SQL Browser Running?
2. Do you have Windows Firewall (if applicable) turned OFF?
3. Is your machine firewalled? Are the right ports opened or is your machine in a DMZ?
4. Are you using a named instance?
5. Did you create an SQL user with appropriate access rights?

These are most of the things that you need to consider. Hopefully this helps some.

Thanx a lot..i think the server simply refuses connection but the same server is allowing me to access Mysql database from my local PC but MS sql databases can't be accessed

I have and eplanet server and i have sql server 2005 enterprise edition installed on my server now the issue is that if am connecting remotely trough management studio its fine but if am connecting from my asp.net application remotely it is throwing sql server does not exist or access denied i have checked each and everything but unable to resolve plzz help me out....

here i have answered the questions ericstenson asked
1. Is SQL Browser Running?
A: Yes
2. Do you have Windows Firewall (if applicable) turned OFF?
A: Firewall turned OFF
3. Is your machine firewalled? Are the right ports opened or is your machine in a DMZ?
A: Firewall turned OFF
4. Are you using a named instance?
5. Did you create an SQL user with appropriate access rights?

Are you 100% sure the hosting company actually allows remote access from SQL Management Studio? Many companies which provide GUI's in their control panel have started to remove remote access for security reasons

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.