I have a file, which is not hosted on my site, which I need to stream through an FLV player which I made on flash. But the problem is that the file I need to stream is not named 'file.flv' it is named 'file.rar'. However it is an flv file not a rar. If you rename the file to .flv it plays.

So what I need to do is to some how change the extention to .flv before it goes into the flv player. I know its possible becuase another site is doing a similar thing.

I have found this file which should work but I dont know how to apply it. Its for .htaccess

AddType application/x-httpd-php .gne

If I have not explained this clearly enough please tell me what you dont understand.

Thanks guys

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by nav33n

Umm.. The AddType will 'inform' php parser to parse files with .gne extension just like a php file. I don't think that will solve your problem. Why don't you use rename to rename your .rar file to .flv ?

The files are not hosted on my server so I cant use that function unfortunately.

You can do it this way (I think). Since it has a .rar extension, you can download the file to the temp folder, rename it and then stream it. :S I don't know about any other possible way.

How would I automatically download it? Also my bandwidth would be huge because each time the video is viewed it would have to be downloaded from one server to another then streamed.

Nevermind. Thats a bad idea. :( I still can't think of a way to achieve this. Anyone else has any ideas on this one ?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.