Hi.
Me again. I have searched google and found no good tutorials to help me.
I'm using "Glassfish v2", "Mysql v5" and "NetBeans 6.5 beta".
***I have to make a seach jsp page that searches by different parameters stuff from database - meaning from one parameter to several.

1. Which methods and how should i do it? (I do not want code, i just need tips and howtos)
  2. Is there a easy way to do it in netbeans using java persitance unit?
  3. Are there any good tutorials or do you know any tips how to do it.

------
My second question is related to "clipboard" on jsp page.
I have to make the following thing:
1) i have 3 tables. Contract is the table that is related to Property with the "middle table" called ContractProperty. And i have to make a interface that allows user to mark certain properties from one contract and then move that mark stuff to another contract, using the table ContractProperty.
2) I have to "copy" one Property into a memory (clipboard) and then be able to use it on other forms. In the clipboard can have only one Property.

1. Can you please tell me where should i start.
  2. Are there any good tutorials that i have not found.
  3. What should i know about things like that.
  4. Any good tips or hints.
  5. Is there javascript involved and if so how should i implement it. I'm using JSF techonology to make my jsp pages and i have controller/converter/class files.
  6. I have had almost the same thing done in php(not by me). Is it any way possible to modify that php+postgresql to work with jsp?

Can you atleast answer my question on the search form? It would be nice if you'd post some helpful tips and tricks.

I do NOT need you to make the code(some code snipets would be nice, but well... if you do not want to, then i do not mind), i just need some advice.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

For the first part of my question i think i found a solution. Netbeans had a sample application that has a search form in its 6.1 release(sadly not in the 6.5 beta samples). It uses visual jsf, but i guess that i can use both (jsf and visual jsf ) frameworks in one project.
As soon as i get the base of my app finished i'll let you know how the search feature turns up.

But in the mean time can you give me some advice on the other two questions...

There is no concept of an actual clipboard in web applications; in standalone applications, sure, but in browser based applications. If you want to persist state across pages, there are two ways. One would be to set the value as a HttpServletRequest attribute with key as "key" and then retrieve it on the next page using request.getAttribute("key"). Another way would be to use sessions to persist user data.

Since you are using JSF things should be pretty easy. Just use your backing bean methods to retrieve the desired value from the current page, set it in session, let the navigation handler decide which page to next go to using the return value of the backing bean method and in the backing bean of that page retrieve the session stored value and then remove it from the session.

All the above has been explained assuming you know JSF, if you don't it's about time you started reading some good books. Actually, what you ask for here encompasses the complete technical architecture of your application, so it's kind of hard to explain it. Good books / tutorials and trial and error are your way to go.

All the above has been explained assuming you know JSF, if you don't it's about time you started reading some good books. Actually, what you ask for here encompasses the complete technical architecture of your application, so it's kind of hard to explain it. Good books / tutorials and trial and error are your way to go.

I know absolutely nothing from jsf. I just chose it for my project, because netbeans makes developing a simple application very easy(CRUD), since the lectures who gave the weird assignment only gave a brief overview on how to make the basics and did not say anything on how to make the stupid clipboard function or the copy item function.
Can you suggest any good books/tutorials that would explain it to dummy. (I just hope that it is a web based book, since i have no idea what our university library has to offer)?

IMO 'JSF in Action' seems to be a good book because:
• Its foreword is written by the JSF specification lead himself.
• The author walks through the JSF concepts by creating an almost real life application
• Since it's a good 1000 page book, you should be able to find almost everything in it.

Then again, practice and googling is what you will additionally require to complete your project.

Thank you for your reply. I could not find this book in our libraries, so i guess i'll have to google... Or better yet, i'll just ask what i get if leave that part out completely *lol*

Thanks for your help anyway.

I tried full library online search in my country online cataloge even by the author and could not find anything. The better books just are not bought into our libraries and I really do not want to waste my money on a book that i might need only once.
But thankies anyway :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.