Well, I fixed the runtime error now it just opened to a new bag of worms.

I get to see the actual error thats there and it tells me that access is denied to this certain file. Easy enough, change the access to the file right? Wrong... can't find the file. It's not located in the directory that it says it is. I've checked the server hosting the file and it's not there and I checked the other servers that could possibly have it and it's not there. Am I missing something? Am I just not able to see the file in regular explorer?

This is the code that I get:
"Access to the path "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\workorder\68a092b6\e3ab0c1d" is denied.
Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\workorder\68a092b6\e3ab0c1d" is denied.]
System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) +393
System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path) +632
System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path) +195
System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.DoFirstTimeInit(HttpContext context) +85
System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.EnsureFirstTimeInit(HttpContext context) +97
System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.GetPreservedAssemblyEntry(HttpContext context, String virtualPath, Boolean fApplicationFile) +29
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemFromPreservedCompilation() +91
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInternal(Boolean fCreateIfNotFound) +217
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemWithNewConfigPath() +125
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem() +88
System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.CompileAndGetParserCacheItem(String virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +120
System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledInstance(String virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +36
System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceInternal(String virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +43
System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, String url, String path) +44
System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +699
System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +95
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +173"

Obviously I'm a complete n00b at this and I have no idea what I'm doing with it so can someone please help me?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Im not sure about ur error but usually causes of ur error are that
1. The file ur trying ti access its protection is set to read only
2. U actually do not have rights to access, execute or cahnge anything in the file

well I dont know why cant u see it, justt try to go to tool->folder option and check if the radiobutton show hidden files is checked and check ur file again after saving the changes, it could be any on the reasons just make sure that u follow the path that the error points to

I've made all hidden files shown and there is still nothing.

I did try to go through the command prompt to get to the Comonent Manager to change permissions and add IUSR to there but I still got nothing. It was a simular error that I found on another forum site but it seems like it didn't work.

I'm wondering if permissions are set correctly in the directories below the file that doesn't exist. What I'm thinking is that the server is trying to create the files, but doesn't have write permission to the directory it's trying to create the file it. That would be why you're not seeing the file when you search for it... it's trying to create it, but doesn't have permission to do so.

Just a thought... IIS, .NET, and all that are very weird programs...

In which routine this error occures? Can you show us some code? I had such errors before but it always had to do something with IO operations. Are you trying to read or create an application-settings-file?

All I'm actually doing is trying to go to the site from the external site. I'm typing in the company name and then the external piece and thats the error it's giving me.

I would show you code but what code do you want? I don't have much//any idea what I'm really doing but I'm the only one that is in anyway capable of doing it. If that makes any sense.

I'm wondering if permissions are set correctly in the directories below the file that doesn't exist. What I'm thinking is that the server is trying to create the files, but doesn't have write permission to the directory it's trying to create the file it. That would be why you're not seeing the file when you search for it... it's trying to create it, but doesn't have permission to do so.

Just a thought... IIS, .NET, and all that are very weird programs...

That sounds like makes sense but I don't know where the permissions are supposed to be set up... I will go through my IIS 6.0 book (yes thats all I was really given for help when it came to something I have very limited experience with) and I will get back to you on that.

ah okay.....

Nothing special about permissions. Go to the directory C:\Inetpub\wwwroot and find the directory in which the website is being saved. Rightclick on that directory and check with the permissions if IUSER_COMPUTERNAME has the proper permissions.

I've gone in an changed the permissions and still getting the same error.

I've also gone in and compared the internal IIS server properties for that item and the external IIS server properties for that item and they are the same but the internal still works and the external does not. I made sure that the internal and the external were both on the ASP.net version and they are.

I just don't understand how the internal could be broadcasting it and the external still get nothing but an error. Though I am sitting here with my huge IIS 6.0 book so I can go over it and maybe understand what I'm doing a little bit more.

Perhaps in your web.config file you stated "impersonate=true", therefore you need to give the proper rights to impersonated user!

Here's another thought...

How are you coming at these servers? Meaning, are you on the same network when you're hitting them? Are you authenticated as a user on the server's domain when hitting the internal, but not authenticated when hitting the external, therefore really acting on two different sets of permissions in each case? Sure, the permissions might be right in one scenerio, but completely wrong in another.

I ran into a similar issue with a database one time... turned out permissions were set great as long as you'd authenticated to our AD domain, but didn't work if you happened to have not authenticated (as in you're coming in from the outside world).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.