i am beginner. i dont know how to configure mail server. would u please explain about mail server and also about smtp and pop3 server and their configuration with example.....

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It would help if you could explain what configuration you are using or intend to use. (platform and any other apps you have that may interact with your mail server)

There are a lot of different mail servers out there...

i am beginner. i dont know how to configure mail server. would u please explain about mail server and also about smtp and pop3 server and their configuration with example.....

First choose a DNS server, Mail Server (SMTP server) and POP3 server. The configurations are very specific, but in general, your DNS server is configured to let clients know which domains your mail server is responsible for.
You mail server will need to be configured to accept email for your domain, or relay mail.
Your POP3 server will be configured to allow access for the accounts configured in your mail server.

These are also platform specific.

Hi..
This is PHP community.. so in relation to php, your mail server is mostly setup by your website hosting company.. so contacting them is a better idea...

Otherwise you can use the PEAR mail package to configure the php mail for different smtp....
Check out this link..
http://pear.php.net/package/Mail

Hi..
This is PHP community.. so in relation to php, your mail server is mostly setup by your website hosting company.. so contacting them is a better idea...

Otherwise you can use the PEAR mail package to configure the php mail for different smtp....
Check out this link..
http://pear.php.net/package/Mail

You're so right. It looks like we misread your post gtamawale. Do you want to configure PHP to send email?

Windows is the only one that needs configuration to send through an SMTP server, so I assume you are on windows and want to configure PHP to send email through SMTP?

Linux will use the sendmail binary, which is usually the default sendmail, or a sendmail clone provided by the MTA (SMTP server). So it doesn't need configuration.

You're so right. It looks like we misread your post gtamawale. Do you want to configure PHP to send email?

Windows is the only one that needs configuration to send through an SMTP server, so I assume you are on windows and want to configure PHP to send email through SMTP?

Linux will use the sendmail binary, which is usually the default sendmail, or a sendmail clone provided by the MTA (SMTP server). So it doesn't need configuration.

yes i am using windows and i want to configure PHP to send email.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.