Hi I have an iframe on my website and it will load new content inside of the iframe when a user clicks on a link. You never navigate away from the page. Is there a way to display the source of the iframe or the html file that is being displayed in the iframe in the web browsers address bar? I would like to do this using JavaScript. I do not really want to use PHP or SSI on my website because of the capacity of the server.

Also I do not know if this matters but the primary way that the information is displayed in the iframe is through a flash menu bar.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

> Is there a way to display the source of the iframe or the html file
> that is being displayed in the iframe in the web browsers address
> bar?

AFAIK, no. It seems pretty logical that the URL in the address bar doesn't change given that the user hasn't navigated away from the resource/web page and is shown new content which is shipped to and fro via remote scripting.

you could put it in the status bar

not familiar with flash
but
<iframe id='name' src='file1.html'>iframe</iframe>
<a onclick="document.name.src='file2.html';window.status='file2.html';">Next page</a>

the flash equivalent should work

Have you tired that? I cant right now because of time but it sounds like this is not possible without PHP or something of the equivalent.

Thank you though

Try this. it works perfect:
<script type="text/javascript">
var obj = {name: "Vonn" };
var pageTitle = "New Page";
var url = "someurl.html";
history.pushState(obj, "pageTitle", "url");
//The first and second parameters are optional. (replace with NULL if you dont need them)

</script>

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.