i know no php, but amexcellentwith javascript, html, and css. I need help adding a forum to my site. Would apprciate any help:)

i know no php, but amexcellentwith javascript, html, and css. I need help adding a forum to my site. Would apprciate any help:)

Needscripts.com

hotscripts.com

both of these websites have plenty of php scripts. Or just use google and search for php forum scripts. If you understand html then you should be able to adapt to php quite easily. Use you css file to position your forum results with the same stlye, text etc as the rest pf your pages, and then just use html tags to present you info into the webpage.

Another thing, are you using a mysql databse or a flat data file to store the enterdata in your forum?

Needscripts.com

hotscripts.com

both of these websites have plenty of php scripts. Or just use google and search for php forum scripts. If you understand html then you should be able to adapt to php quite easily. Use you css file to position your forum results with the same stlye, text etc as the rest pf your pages, and then just use html tags to present you info into the webpage.

Another thing, are you using a mysql databse or a flat data file to store the enterdata in your forum?

Thank you so much :mrgreen: , and i am using mysql. Does the forum require a database program on my pc, or can i just use my server?

i downloaded"my little forum" how do i add it to my site?

Your proposed forum needs a database program, in this instance your using mysql. You need to have mysql on the same machine which is hosting your website. ( i think). If your putting yor website on your server then just install mysql on it as well.

To add it to your site you need to have mysql and a recnt version pf php installed and runing on your server.

"my little forum" should have hopefully quite a standard database connection and display of database contents code already writen in a test page, or something similar.

You need to use that same code to contact your database through your webpages. The php needs to be inside the your html tags.

But remenber you must save your php files as .php or you will just gat pages of sql comands.

Your proposed forum needs a database program, in this instance your using mysql. You need to have mysql on the same machine which is hosting your website. ( i think). If your putting yor website on your server then just install mysql on it as well.

To add it to your site you need to have mysql and a recnt version pf php installed and runing on your server.

"my little forum" should have hopefully quite a standard database connection and display of database contents code already writen in a test page, or something similar.

You need to use that same code to contact your database through your webpages. The php needs to be inside the your html tags.

But remenber you must save your php files as .php or you will just gat pages of sql comands.

Thanks, I'll try it

what do i fill in for thesefields(where do i find this info?)
database host
host name, probably "localhost"
Database name
Name of the database
Database user
Username to access the database
Database password
Password to access the database
Settings table
Table in which the settings are saved
Forum table
Table in which the messages are saved
Category table
Table in which the categories are saved
Userdata table
Tabelle, in which the userdata is saved
User-online table
Table in which the users are counted who are online at the same time

Local host is the ip for machine hosting the forum.

You need to create a database in mysql through a admin program, and put that name of the databse into your php code, as well as your users name and password. Many php and mysql setups come with passwords and user names, you need to have a look in the read me files for these.

it looks like some of the lower statements you state your self, such as the table, you need to name it. Not sure what user table is, i feel its the same as other tables.

How good is your html skills? If you continue to have problems i have a php code that allows you to display the contents of a databse and add a new record. All you need to do is change the html tags from a standard 3 field by 3 column table that displays the data.

thanks, i think i got it to work, and am currently working on customising the css layout.

Well done. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.