Hi everyone,

I've been a programmer for about 3 years and not so long ago, I decided to switch my interest to web development. For that reason, I've been learning PHP & MySQL for some times. However, I feel a need of direction about what is relevant to the current web development trend at the moment in order to be able to enter the competition on the job market.

Therefore, I want to ask for inputs from fellow professionals who have worked with PHP & MySQL in their workplace. What should I learn or focus more in regard to PHP & MySQL.

So far I've been learning to:
- Manage HTML page structure with object oriented principle using PHP
- Create database connection
- Create SQL query
- Create output page from the database query

Looking forward to your input. Thanks in advance everyone. :)

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

continue to practice what you are learning right now then after you are familiar with it try to study different opensource softwares and CMS like wordpress,joomla,etc. They will make your application building faster and efficient.Also try to study different frameworks like Codeigniter if you want some OOP approach.

And one more thing,try to study also Javascript.It is one essential also in web development.

Hope this helps :)

I would also recommend working with a content management system. I use Drupal: large base, lots of modules. You can build skills quickly.

matt

on thing that i would suggest to improve your skills, is look at a online place like facebook or web site editing or something that you have not made. And try to duplicate it. you don't have to publish it or anything just make it for fun.

i have done that and it works out soo far. It really helps me that i have done that by making me think throughly before i jump into things.

i always question how was that made, but don't always try to duplicate it but understand how it is done. in case i have to do it in the future. (which has happened a few times)

one thing that i highly suggest is don't just find code online or get code that someone else made unless you completely understand it. after you understand it and know how it works and able to fix it, or try, before you jump to people for questions. (not saying that you shouldn't ask)

and the most important thing that you should do is have fun. if you get stuck and pissed off then you need to get up and go grab something to drink or sit away from your computer. Hey you can even go as far as to take a nap. i know that in fact last night right before i went to bed i realized how i was going to make something work that was not working to begin with. it was really simple. and it usually is.

one thing that i do suggest is to keep all work, tv, etc. out of the bedroom. if you can. this makes a great cool off time from the computer and helps you think properly. trust me i used to not sleep when i had my computer in my room.

i know this is a lot but this has helped me.

I like try and browsing about php mysql. So many tutorial about it...
I just learn about php and mysql . I usually use google to search most of information ....
good luck ..

Member Avatar for spthorn

Some random thoughts...

I'd recommend just getting in there and writing code! That's the fastest way to learn. Pick a project - even something that's been done many times before - and write it. For example, write your own CMS. Try out different ideas, rewrite it, rework it, refactor it.

Read up on MVC, and apply those principles to your code bit by bit. By trying out these basic principles and learning their purpose, you'll understand better how frameworks work. So that down the road you can take apart a CMS or framework and really understand what's going on.

Build some more web-based applications.

By all means become fluent in HTML, CSS and JS. And AJAX.

Pick one of the popular JavaScript libraries like jQuery and devour it.

Make your web applications / web sites easier to use with these tools. Continually improve your code.

Learn the differences between PHP4 and PHP5 - you'll run into both at some point.

w3schools.com has good introductions to a lot of these topics.

Some random thoughts...

I'd recommend just getting in there and writing code! That's the fastest way to learn. Pick a project - even something that's been done many times before - and write it. For example, write your own CMS. Try out different ideas, rewrite it, rework it, refactor it.

awesome we think kind of the same. yours sounds better though

There is also Lynda.com, which has a lot of tutorials, many of which (but not all) are free.

Thanks for the advice guys. Really appreciate it. :)

I try to work with Wordpress (since it seems very popular) at the moment to see how it works as a CMS. I'll let you know my progress.

it might seem more complicated at first but look into joomla i believe it is a more powerful system. and it also makes you think more of how they do it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.