in my college i have been asked to locate a free ftp server on the local network using softwares like ws_ftp ,cuteFTP.I have downloaded ws_ftp but it is asking for server address. I may not have access to internet in college. How do i go about it? i have created web pages ..now they should be viewed through a web browser.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You need a server address, typically along with a username and password to upload stuff to.
You simply cannot 'find' an ftp server, you need to know it's address. (Typically...)

Cant i use my own computer as a server.I heard somewhere that for the local host i can use something like 127.0.0.0 and with the port adjustment.I dont think the assignment given to us is so difficult.

If you are using windows, as I assume, and this is a project to setup a FTP server, to setup a FTP server, just download FireZilla FTP Server.
That should be all you need to do.

ok thanks. I have downloaded firezilla.My questions are
1. how do i paste files in it.
2.how will i be able to use it in college without the software installed in my college computer ;assuming that there wont be an internet connection there.

Ok i have downloaded portable firezilla. I am using server address as 127.0.0.1 username:abc password abc or anonymous password:(default) and port as 21.It is not connecting. It says invalid username and password. I know how to start a new project but it is not connecting to the server.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.