I've noticed a lot of posts lately with "how do I do this?" and "how do I do that?"

You've somehow managed to end up with an entire db full of data and not the slightest clue what to do with it or how to use it. Rome wasn't built in a day and as a beginner your scripts won't be either. You all have really big ideas for your sites and that's great, I wish you the best, but you are going to have one heck of a long road in front of you and nothing but problem after problem if you don't put forth some effort to actually learn the language and how to use it.

Google is your friend ... chances are that you used it to find this site, right? There are so many decent tutorials and really good books out there that will teach you everything you want to know about PHP. I've come a long way with my coding and I still screw things up often enough, but it's certainly not out of ignorance or from a lack of trying. I stand in awe sometimes at what some of the people on this site know about coding but the fact is that they all got to where they are the same way ... lots of hard work, a desire to learn, and a $#@!load of effort.

I've learned so much from the people on this site and their willingness to help and teach you is pretty much limitless but it takes some effort on your behalf.

Get started on a tutorial or buy a good PHP book and experiment, experiment, experiment. No one here will think any less of you for screwing things up as long as you are honestly trying. Give it some time and you'll be amazed at how easily things will fall into place over time and you may even start being proud of what you have accomplished and it will show in your work.

Just my 2 cents ... I felt like I needed to put that out there.

Thank you to everyone here who has kept me pointed in the right direction and helped me along the way.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Yes This site is a great resource, but some do abuse it .
They (you know who you are!) repeatedly post code with basic syntax errors asking others to troubleshoot it for them.

I agree that getting a foundation with a book, Google, W3, and the PHP
site is where to start first. Write some lousy scripts, experiment, THEN ask for help along the way.
Worked for me!
Still learning more every day, but I can write scripts that actually work with no help at all now...IMAGINE THAT!

I agree. This goes for javascript, asp, .net, perl etc too.
If you reach an impass, at least throw down the code as far as you have it. No one is going to help you if you simply ask for example code. It's the difference between asking for help, and asking for subcontracting work to be done.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.