Hi all,

I am after creating a small basic CMS sytem that will allow me to
Change things after i have uploaded my site,

How would i do this?

I would like to change descriptions and add photos to the site?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If you want to create your own CMS you will be looking at MySQL with PHP. There are loads of tutorials on this however there are a few realy good, pre-made CMS systems that will do all the work for you. Check out Joomla, Wordpress & Thesis or Drupal

Go for your own if you are capable and if site is not too complex.
It will work EXACTLY as you want. You can also do changes as you wish. The loss is however advantage of ready made, well secured and rich feature CMS. However it is worthy it after some time of maintanance.
So you decide.

If you go for your own, the definitely PHP/MYSQL is for you. If you are trying to find good tutorial, google is good at that task. I prefer w3schools or Tizag tutorials as they start from crawl to walk

The site is a custom made e-commerce project for a friend, they do not want a template like zen-cart or anything just a custom built site,
the site is a game developers shop were custom made games are sold,
My friend wants to be able to uplad the .exe files and ad a description and add snapshots of the game to a blank page without my knowlegde in html and php.
(sorry for any spelling mistakes had to many to drink at pub!)

I prefer w3schools or Tizag tutorials as they start from crawl to walk

i can not crawl yet in html and php, im just a begginner,

The site is a custom made e-commerce project for a friend, they do not want a template like zen-cart or anything just a custom built site,
the site is a game developers shop were custom made games are sold,
My friend wants to be able to uplad the .exe files and ad a description and add snapshots of the game to a blank page without my knowlegde in html and php.
(sorry for any spelling mistakes had to many to drink at pub!)

i can not crawl yet in html and php, im just a begginner,

If your a beginner then a custom CMS is a definate no-no! Products like Wordpress and Joomla! have spent years in development to ensure their secure and reliable. Your best bet would be Joomla with Virtumart (Both Free) then develop a custom theme for that, they arn't too hard to do. Professional developers can spend months making custom CMS scripts so to attempt to make one as a beginner is just INSANE!!!
If you REEAALLY do want your own custom CMS, php.net is a great place to get started. I learned everything I know off php.net/mysql.com and they cover everything you could possibly ever know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.