I've had this problem before but have forgotten what caused it. I have field on my site that lets visitors sign up for our mailing list. After they enter their email address, they receive a confirmation email (to which they have to respond to be added) and I get an email stating that someone wants to sign up for the mailing list. When the person responds to the confirmation email, they're added to the mailing list and I get an email saying so.

Today I received an email from Nobody. There's no sender address, but when I show full headers in my inbox I see that it was sent from my site from an email address I don't use (user@host.com). I can't make any connection between this confirmation and any request to join the mailing list, so for all I know it could have come from someone who never requested to join the mailing list in the first place. What could have caused this?

PHP and CGI scripts generally run as nobody if you are not using PHPSuexec and Suexec respectively. This is a server issue. Hope this helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.