HI there,

i haf a series of dynamic checkbox retrieved from db. I can display my checkbox successfully but now i cant get more than one checkbox being checked.

<%
     sqlUser= "select distinct * from t_user_type order by userType"
     set rsUser = conn.execute(sqlUser)

do while not rsUser.eof

sqlView = "select * from t_email_view where emailID = '" & emailID & "' and emailView = '1' order by userType"
     set rsView = conn.execute(sqlView)
%>

<tr>
     <td><input name="deleted" type="checkbox" value="<%=rsUser("userType")%>" <%if rsView("userType")=rsUser("userType") then response.Write(" checked")%> ><%=rsUser("userDesc")%></td>
</tr>
<%
     rsUser.moveNext
     loop
%>

what's wrong with my code? how come only 1 checkbox is checked when there should be 2 checked checkboxes?

THANKS.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

The problem is they have the same NAME

Your telling it

<input name="deleted" <--- So it loops through

So you need to dynamically rename these boxes.

maybe increment the variable like +1 and walk the loop giving each input a different name ?

so how should i do? any improvement on d code u could provide in here? sorry to bother u..

So you need to dynamically rename these boxes.

what do u mean? could u explain furthermore? thanks~

HI there,

i haf a series of dynamic checkbox retrieved from db. I can display my checkbox successfully but now i cant get more than one checkbox being checked.

<%
     sqlUser= "select distinct * from t_user_type order by userType"

do while not rsUser.eof

sqlView = "select * from t_email_view where emailID = '" & emailID & "' and emailView = '1' order by userType"
%>

<tr>
     <td><input name="deleted" type="checkbox" value="<%=rsUser("userType")%>" <%if rsView("userType")=rsUser("userType") then response.Write(" checked")%> ><%=rsUser("userDesc")%></td>
</tr>
<%
     rsUser.moveNext
     loop
%>

what's wrong with my code? how come only 1 checkbox is checked when there should be 2 checked checkboxes?
THANKS.

Well Do something like this

varcount=0

inside the loop do
varcount= varcount+1
namevar=deleted+varcount

<td><input name="& namevar &" blah blabvh

You follow?

do u mean this:

<%
     i = 0
     varcount = 0
     sqlUser= "select * from t_user_type order by userType"

do while not rsUser.eof
     i = i + 1
     varcount = varcount + 1
     deleted = deleted + varcount

%>

<tr>
</tr>
<%
     rsUser.moveNext
     loop
%>

nothing happens, it is still the same..

i think something's wrong with my checking of checked checkboxes statement. it doesn't seem to loop thru the rsView("userType").

when i do a response.write in the <td> tag,

<%response.Write(rsView("userType") & rsUser("userType"))%>

it gave me this:

Admin Admin
Admin Student
Admin Parent
Admin Teacher
Admin Principal

how and what should i do?

im seriously not following. where does the checkboxes come into it?

what do you hope to achieve???

you might want to change the name of the checkbox

if you pass it like that it would come out as ?deleted=1,2,3,4,5. which unless you right a split routine it wont help you.

<tr>
<td><input name="<%=deleted%>" type="checkbox" value="<%=rsUser("userType")%>" <%if rsView("userType")=rsUser("userType") then response.Write(" checked")%> ><%=rsUser("userDesc")%></td>
</tr>

surely there should be an endif there?

heiya.. thanks william_stam!! saw so many of your replies & am grateful.. seems that you're quite pro in programmin ar?

anyw.. i use diff way to store my checkbox n the checking of the checkboxes by hard coding them and not retrieving frm db anymore.. i still have a Qn.. how do i validate them? validate to check that one of the checkbox must be checked in order to save the changes in the current page.

here are my checkbox codings

<input type="checkbox" name="stud" value="yes">Student
<input type="checkbox" name="lect" value="yes">Lecturer
<input type="checkbox" name="principal" value="yes">Principal 
<input type="checkbox" name="admin" value="yes">Administrator 
<input type="checkbox" name="parent" value="yes">Parent
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.