Hi,

I have populated a dropdown menu using php pdo from sqlite database. How would i go about reading what the user has selected in the dropdown menu. so i can do something like:

$userSelected = [whatever user selected in the dropdown menu];

my code is as follows (part of it):

<form name="placementStudents" method="post"><br />

<select name = 'studentrow'>    

<?php 

$db = new PDO('sqlite:mydb.sqlite');

$getStudents= $db ->query("SELECT this part works");

$rowarray2 = $getStudents->fetchAll();
$studentrow = 0;

foreach($rowarray2 as $row)
{
echo "<option value = $studentrow>$row[studentID] $row[firstName] $row[lastName]</option>";
$studentrow++;
}
?>

<input type="submit" value="Select Student">
</select>
</form>

(removed the sql select statement as it was quite long, but it does work)

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

You need to close your SELECT. Then to read the selected value upon post:

if( isset($_POST) && !empty($_POST))
    {
        $userSelected = $_POST['studentrow'];
    }
Jump to Post

No. What I meant was that you opened your HTML <SELECT ...> tag, but you did NOT close it ( </SELECT> )

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

You need to close your SELECT. Then to read the selected value upon post:

if( isset($_POST) && !empty($_POST))
    {
        $userSelected = $_POST['studentrow'];
    }

Sorry im quite new to php/sqlite, but by close do you mean to close the database connection or have i missed something in the coding.

Thanks again.

No. What I meant was that you opened your HTML <SELECT ...> tag, but you did NOT close it ( </SELECT> )

Well it kinda works but im not getting any text, only numbers. If the first value in the dropdown is selected -> echo $userSelected returns 0
if the second value is selected it returns 1.

It will show you, whatever it is you are putting in the VALUE of each <OPTION> . If you want more than that, you can create a delimited value. For example, if you wanted the $stuendrow AND the $row, then make your value something like value="34_23" and when you get that on the server, use the explode() function to break it at the "_":

echo sprintf('<option value="%s_%s">%s %s %s</option>'/*each of those %s will be substituted (left->right) with the following:*/
			,htmlentities($studentrow,ENT_QUOTES)
			,htmlentities($row['studentID'],ENT_QUOTES)
			,htmlentities($row['studentID'],ENT_QUOTES)
			,htmlentities($row['firstName'],ENT_QUOTES)
			,htmlentities($row['lastName'],ENT_QUOTES)
		);
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.