I am totally new to posting here and dealing with Coldfusion. Hello ALL. I have an application built by a past employee over 4 years ago that is just now showing errors on a regular basis. I have tried to explore the files associated with the errors when I catch it to no avail. Can someone let me know what I COULD copy and paste here to show an error page associated with my problems? I actually attached a txt file with the text I get on the error page if that helps. Once I know I pray I could learn something from you CFpros out there. Thanks all for your time.

Antoniokp

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The error means there's some problem connecting to your database. The cause could be a lot of things.

- has something changed with your db recently
- which db type are you using?
- does the error happen every time or just sporadically?

The error means there's some problem connecting to your database. The cause could be a lot of things.

- has something changed with your db recently
- which db type are you using?
- does the error happen every time or just sporadically?

Thanks for getting back to me Arrgh...:cool: Answers to your 3 lines;

- Nothing has changed in a few years with the db.
- mysql is the db he used.
- The error happened sporadically throughout the months of a given year prior to last week. Now it is sporadically throughout the day, every day.

The original developer mentioned that because the application was not built for a client there were a few things he should have coded but didn't figuring there really was no client-side and any fix needed would get done because he worked here, now he doesn't. I am still in contact with him though as he produces for our video company.

Your time is appreciated Aargh, thanks for the help.

Looks like you're using the jtds driver. I usually use the built in one (though it has problems too). Honestly I've never seen that specific error. Google only returns 94 results for it ;-) It's possible it's a weird driver problem. But connection reset errors could also be caused by a legitimate problem reaching the db. For example, if the db were on another server which couldn't be reached for some reason. ie Temporary network problems.

You could try switching drivers, but first does the error go away if you refresh the same page?

Looks like you're using the jtds driver. I usually use the built in one (though it has problems too). Honestly I've never seen that specific error. Google only returns 94 results for it ;-) It's possible it's a weird driver problem. But connection reset errors could also be caused by a legitimate problem reaching the db. For example, if the db were on another server which couldn't be reached for some reason. ie Temporary network problems.

You could try switching drivers, but first does the error go away if you refresh the same page?

Funny you should ask. In the past YES, one click of the refresh button and all was well. Now it can take 1-2 minutes before it comes back.

Is the db on the same server as CF?

Is the db on the same server as CF?

Yes it is.

Hm... it could still be a network problem or just the db going away. That type of error isn't easy to diagnose. You'd need a packet sniffer. So happens there's a similar problem with the built in driver. A great thread about it here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3396333

Just for kicks, you might try the suggestion of adding a validation query to your dsn settings. See if that has any effect.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.