Hi,

In have created a smallm cms, and I would like to offer customers to download it, instead of only getting access to it, if I design a website for them, AND "attach" the backend to the site.

How can I create a download function, so that the whole "system"/CMS, is being packed from my website, and gives the customer the possibility to extract the files, like downloading a program, so that all the files are in the corerct folders etc etc.?

Does someone know of some good tuts on how to do this?

Jan

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I think ftp is better. Share ftp userid password with him. Because even if you find such tool, to change single page, he need to download whole site.

Not understood?

My point is, that I want to make it possible for customers (Not one customer) to download the cms i created, from my website.

So when downloaded, they can unpack the files, and then it installs on the customers computer automatically.

Just like all the other programs out there that you can download..

the files are of course in specific folders, to be able to work. So everything needs to be downloaded from my site, and extracted to whatever position the customer chooses, and then he/she can run the cms and create their website..

Arh i see..

Well i couldnt expect the client to have a server, php and mysql installed on their computer, so it wouldnt do any good for them to download it, since it made in php and mysql.

So as you write, i need to create a login on my site, where a user, can get access to the cms, and begin to use it. And then a database is automatically created when they accept to start..

So I guess I should contact my hosting company, to hear how I can do this?
As i dont have access to create as many different databases as I wish to do.

Member Avatar for diafol

In have created a smallm cms, and I would like to offer customers to download it, instead of only getting access to it, if I design a website for them, AND "attach" the backend to the site.

Then

Well i couldnt expect the client to have a server, php and mysql installed on their computer, so it wouldnt do any good for them to download it, since it made in php and mysql.

So what you do is create the site online via the cms, right? Then create a download zip that the client can upload to his/her host.

I imagine the process would be as follows:

1. User creates site on your website.
2. User downloads the site as a zip file.
3. User uploads file to their host (via ftp, or otherwise).
4. Zip file (or tar/gz file) unpacked.
5. Run install file - set up all DB entities from sql files, change folder w/r permissions, etc, choose site admin login details etc.
6. Delete installation, sql files.

BTW, problem with users and different DBs. You should look for a host that offers unlimited DBs. They are cheap enough these days.

Yes that sounds like a good approach, thank you for your input.

I could let the user log in, and work on the site - (maybe set a time limit for the database to exist, so I dont end up (could end up) having a bunch of unfinished sites.) and then as you mentioned, let the user download the files, and delete the database they have created and worked on, on my site.

So you reckon it wouldnt be that expensive to find a host, where you can create unlimited DB's - I will look into it when I am ready, not quite there yet.

Thanks for the answer Ardav, it was once again very usefull!

Member Avatar for diafol

Caveat - you need a lot of space! Although I said 'cheap' it'll be more expensive than your average setup. Ask yourself if you're ready to host hundreds of site builds, most of which will probably be rubbish. Will you be able to deal with the capacity? Will your site crash under the load? This is a possible scenario if you allow anyone to build a site straight away. Your mysql server will probably throw a wobbly. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.