Hello,

I want to ask about better practice.

lets look at example function

this.get_active_group = function() {
            var active = '';
            if ($('#dogs_bet_window #first_row').hasClass('listening_keyboard')) {
                active = 'first_row';
            }
            else if ($('#dogs_bet_window #second_row').hasClass('listening_keyboard')) {
                active = 'second_row';
            }
            else if ($('#dogs_bet_window #special_offer').hasClass('listening_keyboard')) {
                active = 'special_offer';
            }
            else if ($('#dogs_bet_window .sum').hasClass('listening_keyboard')) { 
                active = 'sum';
            }
            else if ($('#tabs-3').hasClass('listening_keyboard')) {
                active = 'system_slip';
            }
            return active;
        }

this is the function which which gets currently active group of buttons. My user interface has 5 groups of buttons.

So when I want to determmine which group is active, as you can see in this function - it checks is it having class .listening_keyboard.

The problem might be when design is changed - and if it will not have such ids for example, so the functionality will stop working.

But on the other hand - when changing desing it still will break anyway until we will fix everything. I mean desingners most likely create their own html, will not look at current html. So everything will break anyway.

I was just thinking - keeping the values of active groups in variable. So then I check the variable instead of calling function hasClass() which checks html.

Is it better to store in varible such stuff or not necessary, since then we have doulbe information - in variable and in html, which might look also not optimal

Of course this time there is not that many data but I want to know in general what is better.

Contributors
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by pritaeas

IMO having an options variable (array/object) is more readable, plus easier to change. Without it, overlooking a class when changing is easy, especially when the code grows. I think that these kind of identifiers do not belong in code. They can be variables or constants, but they should be defined separately.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.