Hi,

I built a new wordpress website for one of my client but some old URL are still showing in google. Those URL doesn't return a 404, they actually redirect to the good pages. I explain :

The website is www.vetreseau.com. One of the page is www.vetreseau.com/veterinaire/. The old website page was www.vetreseau.com/site/veterinaire. I've removed the subfolder because it was useless. But if I try to access www.vetreseau.com/site/veterinaire, it will actually redirect to the good page, www.vetreseau.com/veterinaire/. I realized that, within wordpress, anything you type as subdirectories, if it doesn't exist, wordpress will remove it and try the page without the subdirectory. So when I try www.vetreseau.com/asdgasdadg/veterinaire/, it works, because it redirect to www.vetreseau.com/veterinaire/. But my problem is that google thinks that my old pages are still active because they are redirecting to the good page and not a 404 error page, and even if they are redirected, they are not sending a 301.

Can I remove that kind of weird wordpress redirect subdirectory feature?

Can I say to Google with my htaccess, yes this page leads somewhere, but the new URL is blablabla... so it will eventually update in search engines ?

Sorry for my english, this is not my first language.

Thank you for you help!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

Sorry for my english, this is not my first language.

@JeanPhilippe

Why did you put this question in RSS, Web Services and SOAP not PHP?

I'm sorry, I was confuse on where to put it. Then I saw a question about .htaccess on this section and I thought it was the good one.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@JeanPhilippe

Post your htaccess file so maybe we can see what you are saying because I got no clue what you are saying.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.