Which type of dynamic website is useful in 2014 PHP or ASP.NET?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

These are both server side languages. Server side code is converted by the server to HTML so there is no difference from the clients perspective.

What language do you feel more comfortable with? I happen to like asp.net over PHP but that's my preference.

Thanks for the correction Jorge:) i also prefer to asp.net then PHP another benefit of asp.net is i can easily search and get little bit support from GOOGLE regarding asp.net.

Don't forget PHP is a massive language with some of the biggest sites in the world resting on it (including DaniWeb,Facebook,Twitter...).

Agreed, it's a case of what you feel more comfortable with. Personally, I love PHP and its a great language with more support than you could ever need.
Thoroughly reccomend, just not everyones cup of tea.

Go for the one that you feel in love at first sight.

Personally, I highly prefer PHP over C# or vb.net for web development. I am not saying that PHP is a superior language against the supported languages in asp.net (c# and vb.net), but both of these languages can excel in other applications just like Java et al.

Member Avatar for diafol

Which type of dynamic website is useful in 2014 PHP or ASP.NET?

This question has been asked to death - here, the ASP.NET forum, the wider web. You'll get partisan answers and you'll get honest answers, which usually end up saying, "pick the one you like, it doesn't matter".

However, if you wish to be employed at some point in the future as a web dev, then it could make some difference. Only your own research of (local?) opportunities, salaries, scope for career progression etc will enable you to make an informed decision.

Some web devs are proficient in more than one back-end language. The ability to code competently in more than one language will obviously increase your "employability". If you have the time, it may be to your advantage to develop skills in the dark side and the light side! But that's a hefty commitment. My 2p.

Remember that these langauges/technologies aren't the only ones available. Hack, nodejs and others could also be advantageous.

commented: Excellent advice. +12
commented: Nice +4

ASP is great but kinda hard to work with as compared with PHP.

transcoding: very lucrative;
converting asp.net code to give the same function in php
and php to asp.net
replicating both in perl
language updates at irregular intervals some(most) of which destroy previous code
in aircraft lounges, on plane, at homes, with a cheapass laptop
( Customs love to seize laptops, when all you have is carryon and a laptop. )
Summer semester is over, Going to Melboure for summer semester
Offered Florida, but other lecturers say "don't you only sweat", maybe telelectures, I don't have to BE there

Whatever you decide to do, learn.
Create unique proprietary code, licensed for use.
Passive income Rules

I get $28,000/year indexed, for a controller written in 1978, that I maintain hardly at all.
I love governments

I prefer PHP since you can host it in a cheap web server compare to ASP.NET which is very expensive. I am talking about independency.

You can only use ASP.NET only if you work in a company who has their own data center. If you want to create a personal website for your own client I highly prefer PHP.

you can host it in a cheap web server compare to ASP.NET which is very expensive

The price difference is no longer a reason, it has dropped to (almost) identical pricing as Apache hosting.

You can only use ASP.NET only if you work in a company who has their own data center.

That's not even true.

This battle is going to be very opinionated, PHP in my opinion is the easier option (and somewhat quicker with configuration). Also, PHP is easier to install (if I am correct) — but, ASP has it's good points, I am sure. I recommend you google your question and see the pros/cons.

I recommend you google your question and see the pros/cons.

I don't think anyone or anything can settle this battle, people have to take the plunge and pick one, and if they like it stick with it. Every single person who knows either (or both) languages will have an opinion that suits them, but will undoubtedly be completely different for everyone else.

Go for it, toss a coin, and start playing. It's the only way you'll ever be able to answer which one you prefer. But please read @diafol's post, as that is perfect advide if you wan't to make any sort of career out of it.

Member Avatar for diafol

This battle is going to be very opinionated

I hope not. Partisan opinions on this issue are largely based on ignorance.

"I think C, because I know A and don't know anything about B" can never provide an informed opinion.

It reminds me of "Which is best Soccer or Rugby?" One of the most boring questions forever being asked in my little country. Most are biased as that's the sport they played as a kid / adult. Some rare beasts like myself played both, but I was far better (or not as bad) at one of them. So while I may prefer one to the other, that does not make one better than the other.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.