Hello,

I am trying to protect my xampp with password:

by accessing this url: http://localhost/security/xamppsecurity.php

This is the view : http://www.innovation.web.id/xampp-security.jpg

I wonder why my xampp security view in localhost is different from my xampp security view in the server?

I already re-install my xampp 4 times (these are the versions that I have tried): xampp 1.8.2-5, 1.8.3-3, 1.8.3-4

Regards,
Davy

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Why don't you try developing in the cloud? Where everything is setup for you already...
https://c9.io/
It's great. And on Google's App Engine servers.

no, we own our own server. (I am trying to install xampp and prepare the web server to launch the web that I just develop).

Why would you be running XAMPP on a server?!

yes, since it's work and easier to install.

Member Avatar for diafol

But it's not secure for production - even xampp says so. I think we've discussed this before davy.

Install either NGINX or HTTPD (apache) on your server, then install extras if needed such as MySQL (maybe with PHPMyAdmin), PHP and whatever else...
But you DO NOT...

DO NOT!

Use XAMPP on a production server.

You shouldn't have a GUI on a server... ._.
Any reason why you're even using Windows Server?

Member Avatar for diafol

Any reason why you're even using Windows Server?

yes, since it's work and easier to install.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Since when was any other OS hard to install? o.o
IMO, if you're doing anything systems related, you should be up to date with *NIX.

Member Avatar for diafol

@md - I was joking - just repeating davy's earlier assertion. Nevermind, I laughed. Heh heh. Even funnier now.

commented: i lol'd legit +4

OH. Sorry, I thought you were a bit woohoo in the head and were being honest. lol
Kinda funny now.

commented: He he +15

Just the thought of having a production site hosted inside the xampp can make me cringed. Uniform server is far better than Xampp in terms of production website security. However, that is not the right way serving websites for the web.

If you are using windows, there is an Oracle VM virtual-box to consider. You can install linux server inside the virtual box and then port the IP address of the virtual box in your windows hosts file and then make the virtual server serve on port 80. Normally, this is on the network configuration page of your modem manufacturer.

By using this kind of configuration, you can have mail service, news feed service, ftp service, apache, nginx, mysql, webmin, and the experience of doing things most web professionals does on a daily basis.

Another alternative is to let your windows apache server ( this will work better if the nginx is located in the window side or host side and then forward to virtual host's apache) receive and forward all requests to the virtual host.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.