I have a folder that contains x amount of files with different extensions, I need a way to retrieve all the files with the name 0000001 regardless of their extension, i then have to work with these and then retrieve all files with the name 0000002. I know I can increment the filename variable but when the file name becomes 0000010 how do I keep it the same amount of digits when incrementing, will it just add an extra digit such as 00000010.

So far I am accessing the files and saving them all in an array

String[] files = Directory.GetFiles(@"D:\test\ElectionFiles");

and then looping through each file and pulling the information from it and sending it to the database

foreach (String fi in files)
            {
                FileInfo f = new FileInfo(fi);
                string filename = f.Name;

XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();
                doc.Load(fi);
                string document = doc.InnerXml;

SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand("submit");
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@document", document);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@filename", filename);
                cmd.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter()
                {
                    ParameterName = "RETURN_VALUE", 
                    Direction = ParameterDirection.ReturnValue

});
            }

Just want some advice if this looks correct and how I can go about only retrieving the 4 files at a time and how I can increment the filename to retrieve the correct files.

Thanks

Contributors
Views
2 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by gusano79

Keep track of which number you're looking for in an integer variable, not a string, and use custom numeric formatting to turn that into a file serach spec with the correct number of zeros. Then you can just increment the integer variable and not have to worry about rolling the digits up yourself.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.