i have developed a website.it downloads the file from web server.the code works fine on windows 2000 n windows XP but the code doesn't work on windows 98?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

it's probably more to do with the web browser than the version of windows, although without seeing some code or settings for the problem machine it's very difficult to tell.

what language is it?

ASP.NET requires the .NET framework to run it, Xp ships with the framework and windows 2k will have got from an updare or service pack. You can get the redistributable framework and install it on windows98. ALL .NET software requires the framework to run, just like JAVA needs a JVM or JRE.

or the php interpreter

Call me old fashioned! but given that the guy has already written the application, it is somewhat unlikely that he is going to try and develop it on three different versions of windows and far more likely that he has a user with windows 98 that cannot download a file? I wouldnt have said anything but the thought of the world thinking that you have to have the .net framework installed on your computer just to view an asp.net site is going to keep me awake at night and lose me customers! Bill will be turning over in his newly philanthropic grave :) (shivers) apologies to all if this is simply a case of a badly posed question!

i dont actually think even the site hosting the .net code needs the framework as I run asp.net sites from linux using Abyss just fine

i dont actually think even the site hosting the .net code needs the framework as I run asp.net sites from linux using Abyss just fine

yes the site hosting the .net code needs the framework

Call me old fashioned! but given that the guy has already written the application, it is somewhat unlikely that he is going to try and develop it on three different versions of windows and far more likely that he has a user with windows 98 that cannot download a file? I wouldnt have said anything but the thought of the world thinking that you have to have the .net framework installed on your computer just to view an asp.net site is going to keep me awake at night and lose me customers! Bill will be turning over in his newly philanthropic grave :) (shivers) apologies to all if this is simply a case of a badly posed question!

Yes the original post makes for a lot of guessing. I took the 'download file' bit to mean he/she is downloading a website application or a .NET windows application from the site he/she has to run locally. My post is perhaps misleading I do know you don't need the framework to merely browse an ASP.NET website, you need if you wish to run/develop one on your own box.

yes the site hosting the .net code needs the framework

maybe my linux box can host my asp.net sites as it has mono?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.