Hi,

I have confused in the terms of www and www2. For what purpose really www and www2 are used in webservers. I have searched but Iam not found a good result. Can anyone tell why the term www, www2 and www1 are used in webservers and for what purpose?

Thanks...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

the keys on my keyboard are hard and sticky can you please because when i replace the board it still has the same problem and i cant type please help me

www1, www2, and any other number are all sub-domains. The main reason of using sub-domain is making the site more organise. For example, use www1 for english version, www2 for spanish and www3 for german etc. You can also use wwwww or vvv or abc as sub-domain.

in relation to moruri's post. It is highly impolite to hijack other peoples threads

usually whatever comes before the domain name is a hostname. so abc.domain.com, and xyz.domain.com are supposedly different servers. it can be overruled, of course, but nonetheless. so if you encounter www.domain.com and www2.domain.com, the domain has more than one www server, and since you can't have duplicate names, the second was named www2.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.