hello guys, im practicing doing a website but i have a question, can i maintain the site from any computer or it has to be the computer that i set it up on?

thanks in advance

hello guys, im practicing doing a website but i have a question, can i maintain the site from any computer or it has to be the computer that i set it up on?

thanks in advance

Basically, what you need to maintain a website, is the ability to edit data displayed on your website. This means different things for different types of websites.

If you website is file based (you have HTML or PHP files that make up the website and its data) then maintaining the site means editing these files.
If you website data is stored in a database, then maintaining the website means editing the data in the database.

To edit the website data, you need to have access to that data somehow. This access can be local access to the files/data or remote access from another computer on the same network (the network can be the internet)

If you have your website online (on a webserver connected to the internet) then you can maintain the website as long as you have file access to the folder your website files are located on that sever through the internet or for a database based website, access to the database.

To edit files on a remote computer, you can use a protocol such as FTP (File Transfer Protocol), or SSH (Secure Shell Access). FTP is the simpler of the two and there are man FTP clients (programs) that you can download of the internet, and use to maintain your website.

An easy way to maintain a website remotely is by using a CMS (content management system). The CMS just requires an Admin User/Pass to authenticate you as the maintainer of the website. The CMS can be written in PHP for example, and provides a User Interface (UI) to edit the data in its database or files.

Many hosting companies also provide a web based File Manager, that allows you to edit files on the websever through a UI.
If you're new to hosting a website online, you should try one that has Cpanel installed. It has many features that makes updating your site easier, as well as installing CMS's automatically for you. (If they have the Fantastico Extension installed).

If you're hosting on your own computer, then you can install a file manager available Open Source. see: sourceforge.net and search File Managers. Otherwise you'll need to use FTP.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.