I am trying to create an update query for a website, and I keep getting an syntax error message. I narrowed it down to the table column that is the only field that is set to be of type text.

UPDATE company SET references = "blah blah blah" WHERE company_id = 18

I don't have any errors in the code. I googled for this and think I have found that it is a bug in MySQL. I am not sure which version I am using but it is 3.23.32 or newer. Is there a work around for this, or do I have to structure an update query differently for a text type field?
HELP!
Thanks
Nan

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by cereal

Maybe it depends on double quotes in references row. Try it like this: mysql_query("UPDATE company SET references = 'blah blah blah' WHERE company_id = 18"); If you are using a $_POST then remove single quotes from it. This way: mysql_query("UPDATE company SET references = $_POST[references] WHERE company_id = 18");

I just tried this query as you suggested, not using any variables:

$query = "UPDATE company SET references = 'blahblahblah' where company_id = 18"

and I get the same error message.

Ok, then try it like this:

$query = "UPDATE company SET references = 'blahblahblah' where `company_id` = 18"

Sometimes the underscore gives some problems.. like "syntax error". In this example I've put backticks, not single quotes, around company_id.

Bye :)

I tried that, still get the same error message. So then I tried using this:

$query = "UPDATE company SET references = 'blahblahblah' where username = 'company'";

so I avoid having an underscore completely. Any other suggestions? I am completely at a loss here. Thanks for your help.

WOW! That is it? Thank you so much for solving this for me! I have a list of reserved words in PHP, but not MySQL.
I am off to pick through hundreds of lines of code to change the name of that field, oh joy....

Nan

The weird part is that MySQL let me create the table and insert tons of trial rows using that reserved word, and it never complained until trying to UPDATE a row.

Or may be you can ;)

$query = "UPDATE company SET `references` = 'blahblahblah' where username = 'company'";

PS: Pay attention to the quotes ...

- Mitko Kostov

JUST WANTED TO SAY THANK-YOU TO cereal AND MitkOK
YOU SAVED ME A LOT OF GRIEF I HAVE BEEN SITTING HERE ALL DAY
GOOGLING ETC TRYING TO FIND THE PROBLEM AS I WAS ABLE TO INSERT BUT NOT
UPDATE AAAAARRR!!! I USED 'desc' AS A COLUMN NAME DOH!!

I have the same problem, but it's not associated with mysql reserved words.

note is a mysql text filed. I am trying to modify the field with preg_replace in PHP then updating the field to the db table. I have used the update command many times with other data types. Testing the command I did not modify the field. I just tried to rewrite it.

$note = $row["note"];

$query = "update `tableNotes` set `note` = $note where `ID` = $row[ID]";

10322 Failed. 1064:You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'where `ID` = 10322' at line 2

I've tried numerous variations -- all fail.

How can I display database content in textfields that I have used to enter them ? using php
I need a help .

thanks !

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.