I HAVE LOADED ORACLE 8i ON WINDOWS XP. IT HAD LOADED SUCCESSFULLY AND I HAD WORKED ON IT. BUT ON NEXT REBOOT WINDOWS IS NOT ABLE TO START THE SERVICE CALLED OracleServiceORCL. WHEN I TRY TO START IT AGAIN IT ENDS WITH AN

ERROR:-
Could not start the OracleServiceORCL service on Local Computer
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control
request in a timely fashion

I HAD SEARCHED FOR THIS ERROR AND MICROSOFT RECOMMENDED LOADING OF MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 1.1 SERVICE PACK 1. RUNNING THIS SERVICE PACK ALSO DIDN'T HELP.

Plz Help Me

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Try making the service not 'automatic', and then try starting it yourself manually via the service. See if it has the same problem...

AAAh....finally someone answered to this thread...I tried searching alot in different forums...but was not able to solve it...so finally i decided to reinstall .NET framework and Oracle again(was the last option for me)...someone else also suggested this but was not able to solve the problem...so I had to do it.

Thanx anyways

OK, but does it work now?

Yaa it does...don't know what the previous problem was

Yaa it does...don't know what the previous problem was

1053 could not start the oracle service on local computer on win xP

dear sunnypalsingh

i also had a same problem of oracle service not getting started. it always remains starting....
so now i had found one temp solution of starting the oracle by giving comman in SVGR file evry time i reboot.

plz confirm if ur above method is still working on winxp and oracle8i permanently or not. as i also tried to install .net framework 1.1 with sp1 but it is not getting loaded as it is saying that program to be upgraded is missing so now i am searching .net framework 1.1 basic and then i will try again.
so plz give any remedy u know i am working on oracle8i and winxp with sp2

HI..
even im facin the same prob, i tried installin oracle 8i as well as oracle 9i on my sys with winXP SP2 on it. n it works the first time after installtion, but later on restart it gives the err TNS protocol adapter error. The Oracleservice says starting. ive tried reinstallin it several times also tried completly formattin my sys n thn reinstallin, but still the prob continues..
can u pls let me know if u guys were able to resolve this prob...

bye.... P

hi, i am also facing ythe same problem ..
please tell what to do...

hi, i am also facing ythe same problem ..
please tell what to do...

Try restarting the DNS client service in the services list.

i had the same problem and realized this:

i had installed oracle while i was not connected to the network... later when i restarted it being connected to the network... the OracleService had the same issues while starting up.

so i tried disconnecting form the network and restarted my machine and the service seemed to startup fine.... maybe i need to reinstall oracle while being connected... will try this out

1. Change the startup setting of the instance of Oracle database such that the instance of Oracle database does not automatically start when the Oracle database service is started. To do so, follow these steps.
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
c. In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0
Note The name of this registry key ends with the number zero (0), not the letter o.
d. In the right pane of Registry Editor, double click ORA_<SID>_AUTOSTART.
Note: Replace <SID> with the name of the your Oracle database service.
e. In the Edit String dialog box, type FALSE in the Value data box, and then click OK.
f. Close Registry Editor.

2. Create the following batch file with the name StartupOracleORCL.sql:
connect internal/oracle
startup
3. Create the following Windows batch file with the name Orastart.bat in the same folder where you created the StartupOracleORCL.sql batch file in step 3:
svrmgrl @<Full path of startupOracleORCL.sql created in Step 2>
4. Restart your system properly
5. (Every time before starting SQL Plus) Run the Orastart.bat file at a command prompt
Note: a) You may notice that the instance of Oracle database starts successfully.
b) Now you can start SQL plus from Program files and login with system/manager or scott/tiger.

the problem is very easy of to solve only delete the currently service of oracle with the command sc delete oracleservice%nameinstance% and then to create again the service with the command oradim.
for example oradim -new -sid %oracle_sid%

Dan T.

Rinox,
I'm also having the same issue but my database has lot of data that I really need. Does deleting the service will also delete the database or will I still have access to my data after I recreate the service?

Thank you in advance,
Vadim

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.