Some of the ads have the wrong z-index. The Verizon Wireless one is an example because it always stays on top of the forum and control panel dropdown menus. I can't get to some of the links that way and have to reload the page to get a different ad.

Loading the ads is slow too, but I don't know if there's anything that can be done about that.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Ads are there to see who's smart enough to figure out how to get rid of them.

commented: Ahhh, that makes sense :) +20

Unfortunately the z-index is set by the advertiser, and there's nothing that we can do about it.

Shoot the advertiser!

Ban that advertiser. He's too greedy!

I don't mind ads until they get in the way. This is another sneaky trick that should be banned. It interferes with using the page.

Everybody write letters to those advertisers, telling how much you hate the fact that they keep you from using the page.

A friend of mine has a trick he uses on junk US mail. He puts a rectangle of scrap metal from the chassis corner punch in his fabrication shop into the postpaid envelope. Then the advertiser has to pay postage for all of the extra weight in the envelope.

I wish we could send electronic versions of those plates of metal to the intrusive advertisers.

Unfortunately the z-index is set by the advertiser, and there's nothing that we can do about it.

That's a bit weird isn't it? So if the advertiser decides to make a full-screen ad with the highest z-index and covers up all of Daniweb, you would still be like : meh. ?

commented: Haha, bleh. ;-) +29

Well ... there are certain hard restrictions placed on the ad campaigns, such as their dimensions. Unfortunately z-index isn't one of them. And unfortunately I'm not the one who decides what the restrictions are.

All that being said, I think I've come up with a workaround. Let me know if it all works now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.