I get periodic pop-ups from a company called Scorecard Research asking me to complete a survey. This only happens when I am on Daniweb. is this legit? If so then how can I make it go away? The questions were innocuous so I answered them but the pop-up keeps coming back. Fortunately it is only once every few days.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

This is part of ComScore, a statistical company (similar to Nielsen ratings) that collects information about a website's audience to offer advertisers third-party demographic information.

However, it's only supposed to come up like literally once a year, not every few days?! Do you clear your cookies a lot???? You might want to look into how to disable it at ComScore.com. I can't do it from my end.

I highly recommend installing AdBlock plugin for Chrome or Firefox.
A second recommendation is to also install DoNotTrackMe plugin. I have one installed and it reports that there are 9 sites trying to track me on daniweb.
With these 2 plugins you will not be bothered with ads, pages will load faster and no more of them popups

Do you clear your cookies a lot

Yes. I'm particular about what gets stored locally. Perhaps I'll just whitelist ComScore. Once a year won't bother me.

The industry pretty much demands that we use ComScore because all of the big ad agencies swear by it. It's like Nielsen ratings for the web.

That's why DoNotTrackMe browser plugin is so popular - because webmasters' will not remove these tracking, so it's up to users to remove tracking codes and beacons from html using plugins like this. I'm sure that are many people who like being tracked, there is nothing wrong with that. I'm sure there are many users who enjoy seeing ads on websites, nothing wrong with that either, but just in case you would rather not then fortunately there are browser extensions you can use.

Downloading various tracking beacons and javascripts that have no other purpose but to track my activity slows down my browsing experience. Thanks but no thanks, I'd rather block all these annoyances.

I use Ghostery to block tracking, however, I had to whitelist DaniWeb because it was interfering with the "file upload" controls.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.