I've upgraded the Markdown editor that we use to the latest version. Please let me know if anything isn't working.

Recommended Answers

All 44 Replies

Hello!

I'm having few small issues when using Google Chrome on Ubuntu.

Problem 1

It does not seem to indent correctly code snippets, an example here:

Screenshots: Parsed & Plain-Text

It happens only with Google Chrome on Ubuntu, latest version:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/39.0.2171.71 Safari/537.36

I don't have extensions enabled. I'm not sure this is related to your upgrade.

Problem 2

The second problem, instead, is recent for me and it is not related to code snippets, it is difficult to explain for me, so be patience please ^_^'

When I type in the editor and the cursor reaches the second line, if I try to go to the previous word (which is at the end of the previous line), the cursor jumps at the beginning of the previous line, but if I type something, the text is displayed where the cursor is supposed to be; if, instead, the cursor is at the end of the line and there is a white space, when I try to go back to the previous word, the cursor jumps at the beginning of the current line.

I does not happen, for example, if there is a markdown tag between the two lines.

o_o'

None of these problems occurs on Mozilla Firefox and Opera, latest versions.

I can confirm the behavior that cereal described as "Problem 2". I get the same weird jumpy cursor issue. I'm also on Chrome (Chromium, actually) in Kubuntu.

Problem 3

Another issue that I have noticed is that, as you all know, I tend to write long posts. The editor box starts small and expands with every additional line until some point when a scroll-bar appears on the side. At that point, the editor does not automatically scroll down as I write, meaning that every new line that I write ends up below the bottom edge of the editor box, until I manually scroll down some more to see what I'm writing.

Can confirm problem 2 of cereal and mike. Using Windows 7 and Chrome.

Hi,

I'm able to reproduce issue #2 on DaniWeb but not on a vanilla standalone version of the editor. The problem has something to do with my implementation. I will investigate.

Success!

Problem 2

I've been having this problem - I click in my text to position the cursor and the cursor does not move there.

Problem 3

For longer posts I use either Textpad or Markdown Pad then copy/paste to Daniweb.

Follow up: Can you confirm this only happens in the reply editor and not when starting a new discussion?

Problem 2 occurs in both situations for me.

I haven't started a new discussion in sometime so I can say "only in reply" so far but only because I haven't done the other.

Can you please give me some dummy text that demonstrates the problem when starting a new thread because I can't reproduce it in that editor. Thaks!

I'll do that the next time it happens.

Just attempt to start a new thread and use dummy text without submitting and let me know if the problem is reproducable.

I've tried a few times and have not been able to reproduce the problem.

But you are able to reproduce the problem 100% of the time with the quick reply editor, right? I'm pretty sure I know what's causing the problem ... I just need to double check that's the case.

Not consistently. It's intermittent and infrequent.

I also can say it's infrequent. Not been able to reproduce it now. It happened more in the past. Something has changed, say from september on?

Oh, so this is not something that is a product of the new editor we started using 3 weeks ago?!?

I did not post that much lately, but if my memory serves me well(becomes more difficult but we manage :) ) it did not happen (to me at least) the last few weeks.

I just posted in "Things I Hate About TV Shows. I'm currently editing the text. With the cursor at #1 I press arrow-left and the cursor jumps to #2. When the cursor is at #3 and I press arrow-right it also jumps to #2. I cannot click to position the cursor near the end of the first two lines. Similar behaviour in this message.

d52c4ea8f2c38a024753846b0361bc72

Till now cursor jumps between "Home" and "End" position of a line, When I am tring to set the cursor position by clicking mouse in a line.

Can confirm I've had the intermittent cursor jumping experience myself, using Chrome, a couple of times during the last few days using the quick reply editor - hadn't noticed it before then.

Again, is this problem specific to the quick reply or is it when trying to create a new thread as well? Really need to know this.

I really need help reproducing this so I can debug it. The next time this happens, PLEASE tell me the specific post in question (or give me some dummy text to type into the editor to reproduce it). Also, please note your web browser size / screen resolution at the time.

For me, this works on any editor (reply or new thread) and it is consistently happening for any text that spans multiple lines (wraps). If a line ends with a space, if you try to move the cursor to the place just before that space (after the last non-space character), it just jumps to the start of that line instead. If you need example post, just use this one, because I'm having that issue right now as I'm writing this post.

Version of browser:

Chromium    39.0.2171.65 (Developer Build) Ubuntu 14.04
Revision    b853bfefba0da840f4574eb3b5c7ad6e9b8573b5
OS  Linux 
Blink   537.36 (@185325)
JavaScript  V8 3.29.88.17
Flash   13.0.0.206
User Agent  Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/39.0.2171.65 Chrome/39.0.2171.65 Safari/537.36
commented: same for me +0

Cereal, are you using a Linux flavor as well?

Also, would appreciate some help seeing if the problem is reproduceable at https://www.daniweb.com/dev/codemirror

@Dani

Yes, I'm using Ubuntu 14.04, here's my browser version:

Google Chrome   39.0.2171.95 (Official Build) 
Revision    86b48442d063e82f94969f5439badf11c9baeacc-refs/branch-heads/2171@{#461}
OS  Linux 
Blink   537.36 (@186555)
JavaScript  V8 3.29.88.17
Flash   16.0.0.235
User Agent  Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/39.0.2171.95 Safari/537.36

Screen resolution is 1366x768.

And yes, I have the same problem at https://www.daniweb.com/dev/codemirror

OK so that's two people using Linux / Chrome combo. Any non-Linuxers having the issue?

So I think I finally figured this bad boy out. Yes? No? Testers?

commented: yay! +0

Cereal, does an upvote mean it's working for you now?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.