So I've come across a problem more than once and it'd be a ton of help if I could get this figured out! So there are several instances where I've wanted to open a file with notepad or notepad++ to change values or something (mainly with videogames). The problem that I've come across is that sometimes when I open up a file such as a .PROPERTIES or .SII extension, instead of seeing the normal text like a ton of other people are capable of seeing, mine is jumbled and encoded.

For example, the file I am trying to edit "game.sii" is supposed to have a list something along the lines of
"total_distance: <number>
undamaged_cargo_row: <number>
service_visit_count: <number>
gas_station_visit_count: <number>
emergency_call_count: <number>
ai_crash_count: <number>
truck_color_change_count: <number>
red_light_fine_count: <number>
total_fuel_litres: <number>
total_fuel_price: <number>
money_account: <number>
current_career_level <number>
current_career_star_count <number>
"

but for me it looks like:
捓䍳ম꛴慼䭉묔匢腾ঔ淀쫇㵧䖚࠻喴ሧ鞳搆⒆혡ꘒ滻눕숐ፗꌖ䣾鶵攐齴鰪み嵼ⶆ㬆荇걕࠯ᅏȪ⨧挬摷吀궺ꓧ穘ↀㄅ涓縌藫Ṭ건䤾Ḑ眶츦䰈敝ԉ౧╁能ᦇᲑ褠 etc. etc.

I can't for the life of me understand why my notepad wouldn't read this file but so many other people have had success with it. Any help is appreciated & thanks for your time! :)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Have you tried to change the extension to something recognisable like ".txt", then edit the file, then change the extension back to ".sii"?

No dice. Still looks the exact same.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.