After the whole newsletter drama, I made a typo in my code and threw the Apache server into an infinite loop. About 10 minutes of downtime. So sorry. I need more sleep it seems.

Recommended Answers

All 50 Replies

I thought all the changes to such critical things were made in the dummy project before touching the live working code...;)

Well the problem is that I needed to change a vBulletin setting in order for my code to work. I uploaded the new file without making that setting change first.

I did wonder why I couldn't get onto the site but it was a nice daniweb digest though. I didn't get a mention though :( lol

Keep up the fantastic work.

You'll get a mention in next month's issue. Your featured title came after the newsletter was initially sent out (Tuesday).

I'm only joking, that was no complaint. I didn't really expect a mention tbh. Cheers

Well then bad Dani for spoiling the surprise :)

hehe, that was possibly the world record of the fastest reply ever. 1 minute. Probably less. I look forward to next months newsletter then ;)

I'll try to remember to include you :)

Actually, if you are up for it I might even interview you for a more in-depth featured member profile...

I'll try to remember to include you :)

Actually, if you are up for it I might even interview you for a more in-depth featured member profile...

ME TOO! :cheesy: (j/k, although you can if you want)

I have a real question now: when it talks about all those moderators stepping down for "personal reasons", how come there wasn't more warning? I just looked one day, and suddenly DMR had shifted ranks from "Super mod" to "Team Colleague". I was like, "Has Dani fired DMR for playing with the polls?" And there were a whole bunch of other mods that became Team Colleagues at the same time. No going away message, nothing!

ME TOO! :cheesy: (j/k, although you can if you want)

I have a real question now: when it talks about all those moderators stepping down for "personal reasons", how come there wasn't more warning? I just looked one day, and suddenly DMR had shifted ranks from "Super mod" to "Team Colleague". I was like, "Has Dani fired DMR for playing with the polls?" And there were a whole bunch of other mods that became Team Colleagues at the same time. No going away message, nothing!

I recall some discussion about intellitxt? Or wasn't that the main reason?

Niek

It was actually a number of things, which is why 'personal reasons' sums it up nicely because each was personal to the specific moderators in question.

For the most part, however, it came down to being the end of the year and people discovering they just could not juggle their personal and professional commitments with the workload of a DaniWeb moderator. Something had to give, and it was DaniWeb unfortunately.

I can assure you that DMR was not fired for poll fiddling, in fact not fired at all - he stepped down for personal reasons :)

Well, actually - my reasons weren't "personal" at all. My cat didn't die or anything like that... my reason for stepping down was quite public, and at least one or two others have the same public reason: this forum's use of the IntelliTXT advertising system. I think the digest's summation of all these moderators with "personal reasons" is a bit of spin control.

Oh well, nevertheless, I continue to wish everyone well.

IntelliTXT was amongst the personal reasons cited by a couple of moderators, yes. But it most certainly was not the only reason, nor the biggest. That would have been 'I just don't have the time to devote to DaniWeb to properly execute my duties as a moderator' following on from a discussion in the mod's forum about what is expected from and of a mod.

To use the newsletter to state every single reason for every single moderator resignation over the year would be silly, not to mention boring, and an invasion of privacy as well.

Call it spin if you like, but that was certainly not the intention.

Anyway, whatever, I wish you well as well :)

Moderators here are given real good respect and I don't recollect anyone getting fired as such. In fact its like whenever a Team Colleague feels that he is ready to take on his moderator duties, he is welcome to do so. (so much I assume).

As far as stating the reason for their leaving is concerned, it would be too err....unprofessional or call it personal if you like. Many people left because of IntelliTXT, many because they couldn't fulfill their duties or didn't have enough time.

BTW, Joey, you really have started showing a lot of interest in Modly duties and talk, is an entry in the Mod community nearby ? :twisted:

As far as stating the reason for their leaving is concerned, it would be too err....unprofessional or call it personal if you like. Many people left because of IntelliTXT, many because they couldn't fulfill their duties or didn't have enough time.

Hehe, no I wasn't interested in intruding into people's lives, but I knew such a generalization couldn't possibly be true. IntelliTXT kind of answers my question.

BTW, Joey, you really have started showing a lot of interest in Modly duties and talk, is an entry in the Mod community nearby ? :twisted:

I, err... :o

how do I say this... :cheesy:

Say no more, you always have my vote and recommendation for it....;)

how do I say this... :cheesy:

Try 'pretty please' and let us know which forums you are interested in moderating would be a good start. :)

we should have a poll for moderators - like an election. that would be cool

Yeah that is a good idea. Please put my name down :)

me too

Moderator duty is by invite only, and you can be sure that we (as in the mods and admin at DaniWeb) are always keeping an eye open on likely candidates.

The stock response to 'how do I become a mod' is really always going to be 'by your actions' and if you prove a worthy candidate you get discussed in the mods place forum before an invitation is issued.

So there is a poll of sorts, but it is a closed one and kept within the 'management' ranks.

uh-oh my hdd is making train noises........

Nice post there ^ lol. Anyway, yeah I agree that it should kept within the management ranks otherwise there could be some fake and obstructive votes.

but I knew such a generalization couldn't possibly be true. IntelliTXT kind of answers my question.

But it was true, and personal reasons is a genuine answer to your question. Some left because of the IntellitXT issue, some left because they didn't have the spare time any more, some left for other reasons. It is far too simplistic to say that IntelliTXT caused a massive flood of moderator resignations, and that simply was not the case.

I'm sorry to bring this up because it obviously caused a bit of a problem, but what was the is with IntelliTXT? And why did people leave over it? Just the basic idea is fine or a link...

Without starting the whole debate off again which was largely in private (either mods forum or area 51) it boils down to some people having a fundamental dislike of the IntelliTXT advertising system. So much so that some mods resigned over it being used.

The decision to use IntelliTXT was taken on a purely business basis, because without the revenue it brings we risk falling behind other similar forums which do have that IntelliTXT revenue.

OK, that's it. Can I request that this does not turn into another debate on the issue though please, with all the same old arguments revisited on both sides.

I'm sorry to bring this up because it obviously caused a bit of a problem, but what was the is with IntelliTXT? And why did people leave over it? Just the basic idea is fine or a link...

Many moderators and people felt that Daniweb was taking their words and making money out of it. They felt that such a thing like their posts being used as advertisements would damage their professional reputation or is against their morals.

The trouble was that IntelliTXT ads being links would encourage the newbies to click on them thinking that it would help them solve their problem, but would end up sending them on a third party site convincing them to sell their products. This made some feel that, if such a thing happen, they would be the ones indirectly endorsing the ads....and many more things. But like I have said previously, better forget all that and carry on........

No argument here. I think it is fine and probably one of the best types of advertisement because you have the choice of whether to look at or not and it does not take any screen space. But no debate is required. Thanks happygeek for answering my question.

i like the intellitiext as i think it would either have to be that or full page ads, no? - and i dont think anyone would want that

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.