I have been with my company (a wireless Internet provider) for about a year and we were using a local T-1 provider for internet which came with a business class e-mail. Well we moved on to AT&T T-1s and now we don't need them, so I installed a SME server 7.0 on a mid-tower with 250GB /usr directory and i think that i have it set up but i want to test it without having the DNS point to it's IP instead of our previous ISP's. How would i go about doing this? I am REALLY new to Linux and i only know a few commands and a walkthough only gets me to following instructions instead of learning what i am doing so If anyone has a better recommendation instead of SME server or has used it before and has it routing mail already please let me know how you did with out a walk through

Thanks for reading my post

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

CentOS maybe?

and why on earth do you have a 250gb /usr partition? i hope you know that that /usr doesnt hold user data - thats stored in /home.

and why on earth do you have a 250gb /usr partition? i hope you know that that /usr doesnt hold user data - thats stored in /home.

lol... sorry about that i was typing without thinking, yes my /usr is infact 20GB and my /home is 250GB i appologize for the mistake. But i am curious i have posted this on multiple threads and one person suggested that i send an e-mail to root@mydomain.com considering i have not updated the DNS records on AT&Ts Servers i am sure that would not work but would it work if i sent an e-mail to root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ?

And i will have to look into CentOS.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.