Ah, with the Super Bowl not far off.. I decided to designate this post to polling Daniweb as to which sport is most popular.

As we all know, American football is the best from a business perspective:
1.) It's cheaper hosting the Super Bowl than the world cup
2.) The Super Bowl occurs every year
3.) Commercials during the Super Bowl average about $3 million per 30-minute spot
4.) The publicity from the commercials, half-time show, and actual gameplay contribute to record profits ($300 million economic impact on the local economy)

Also, American football is the most popular sport in any single country.. about 40-50% of all Americans tune in to watch the Super Bowl (~150 million worldwide). The average attendance of an American professional football game is about 68,000 people compared to 16,000 attendees of American soccer, 33,000 attendees of American baseball, and 34,000 attendees of England premier league games.

In my opinion, it's obvious from football's dominance in America as to which sport is most popular :)
Here, American football is the most exciting and most watched sport.. while soccer is boring, and the least watched professional sport. I suspect the rest of the world will one day catch on, and American football will reign as the most watched sport in the world! :)

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

You bastards! Vote for FIFA!

If we wanna talk numbers:

715.1 million individuals watched the final match of this tournament (a ninth of the entire population of the planet).

About the world cup, from it's wikipedia article.

You should consider that this figure does not include inflation for any of those audiences who tune it to watch overblown television ads (the world cup does not have such audiences, we tune in purely for the love and excitement of the sport).

Furthermore, the World Cup is much more diverse, as in there are teams from all over the world instead of just one country.

It's only cheaper to host the SuperBowl if you consider just the expenses (because they are on a larger scale, and also in this case for better quality), but obviously the World Cup brings much more Net income to its hosting Nation. Why on earth do you think so many nations fight--erm bid to host it? Bragging rights?

The World cup occurs every four years. Making it much more special than the super bowl, decreasing the odds of winning one over time, and making its winners a lot more glorified.

As to the world turning to American Football in favor of FIFA Football. I am sorry man, as good as your sport may be, ours is just plain better. It requires more skill, smoother to follow, and a lot more tense.

Bahhhh...

I shall have to respectfully disagree :P
The world cup does in fact bring in more income than the super bowl; However, income minus expenses favor the super bowl:
"Germany invested roughly $1 Billion to build and upgrade facilities to host the tournament. Meaning they're about $470 Million dollars in the red from the start."

And, actually.. football is a much better sport! It requires both skill and strategy (unlike soccer in which you simply run around kicking a damn ball).

Us Americans can speak from an unbiased point of view.. We've all watched soccer and football.. yet we choose football :)

Bahhhh...

I shall have to respectfully disagree :P
The world cup does in fact bring in more income than the super bowl; However, income minus expenses favor the super bowl:
"Germany invested roughly $1 Billion to build and upgrade facilities to host the tournament. Meaning they're about $470 Million dollars in the red from the start."

And, actually.. football is a much better sport! It requires both skill and strategy (unlike soccer in which you simply run around kicking a damn ball).

Us Americans can speak from an unbiased point of view.. We've all watched soccer and football.. yet we choose football :)

I hardly call it unbiased. Due to the very fact that it's called American Football. I have seen american football, and I do think it's enjoyable. It's just not a sport I see myself playing though. Anybody can play FIFA football and not worry about fracturing their spleen ( :P ). And about football being just running around and kicking a ball, I'll let that slide. You see, I used to think american football was just a bunch a primal grunts and men piling on top of each other.

Fifa football also requires a lot more skill on the players' part, and doesn't rely as heavily on "plays" drawn out by coaches. In fact, football is played purely on the athlete's skills. Which is what makes it so exhilarating. Maybe you should watch a world cup game or two in 2010. You'll see what I'm talking about.

As to the income, I'm interested as to where that quote came from. But you are also forgetting one major source of income for the world cup, although indirect and probably not counted. That is the tourism. Literally millions of people excurse to these host nations every four years. They usually have a lot of money to blow on "merchandise", and a wicked party instinct. This translates positively for the host's economy.

I hardly call it unbiased. Due to the very fact that it's called American Football. I have seen american football, and I do think it's enjoyable. It's just not a sport I see myself playing though. Anybody can play FIFA football and not worry about fracturing their spleen ( :P ). And about football being just running around and kicking a ball, I'll let that slide. You see, I used to think american football was just a bunch a primal grunts and men piling on top of each other.

heh.. well, I've played both! And.. guess which one I liked better? :)

Fifa football also requires a lot more skill on the players' part, and doesn't rely as heavily on "plays" drawn out by coaches. In fact, football is played purely on the athlete's skills. Which is what makes it so exhilarating. Maybe you should watch a world cup game or two in 2010. You'll see what I'm talking about.

I consider that a drawback! While soccer is based more on athletic ability, football is based on brains and intelligent strategy. I'd much rather see a game of brains and brauns rather than just a battle of the brauns :P

American football players also get paid a lot more too :)

Go on, turn on the Super Bowl tomorrow! Research the rules beforehand, though. I GUARANTEE you'll like it!

American football is a bunch of overweight yahoos in expensive padded gear running into each other, chasing an almond shaped ball. Hardly a game of strategy and, as long as you run into the right direction, no need for brains.

commented: You don't understand it, so therefore it is stupid? -2
commented: i agree with you Lardmeister +24

Soccer is a bunch of pansy europeans running around trying to kick a ball into a small net. Most of the time, the ball is just randomly kicked from one side of the field to the other, and absolutely no strategy is involved at all. Any retard can kick a ball. There is very little scoring, and watching the game is more boring than country music.

Any sport can be portrayed in a idiotic POV. Don't diss something just because you are too stupid to understand it ;-)

commented: be nice - discuss the pros and cons rather than resorting to insults -5

I read none of the replies but I find it so bloody frustrating when I watch a game of football (soccer). The players get paid more than I have probably earned in my lifetime every week and yet they can't stay on their damned feet! Can't they just play the game and not the odds? Because of this I put it down very very low in my list of sports. To put it this way -- I've seen one half of a game of American Football and I preferred that.

>> and absolutely no strategy is involved at all.
I disagree.
There is strategy and skill... but also much idiotic play that makes my blood boil.

Soccer is a bunch of pansy europeans running around trying to kick a ball into a small net. Most of the time, the ball is just randomly kicked from one side of the field to the other, and absolutely no strategy is involved at all. Any retard can kick a ball. There is very little scoring, and watching the game is more boring than country music.

Any sport can be portrayed in a idiotic POV. Don't diss something just because you are too stupid to understand it ;-)

Firstly, soccer is a hot sport all over the world, except maybe certain parts of the US and Canada. Secondly, you clearly showed the rest of us that you are not smart enough to understand soccer. Thirdly, when it comes to soothing, it is just about impossible to beat country music. Lastly, have a life, watch your language, and keep it pleasant!

commented: This is for being a dumbass. Have a nice day :) -2

To put it this way -- I've seen one half of a game of American Football and I preferred that.

Amen, brother!

Firstly, soccer is a hot sport all over the world, except maybe certain parts of the US and Canada.

Firstly, soccer is not 'hot' ANYWHERE in the US.

Secondly, you clearly showed the rest of us that you are not smart enough to understand soccer.

lmao.. Wow, really? You just showed the rest of the world that you do not understand spoofs. My last post was intended to make fun of you, and your ability to comprehend sports (or lack thereof). You are clearly a hypocritical moron.

You are clearly a hypocritical moron.

No sense of listening to you once you resort to name calling!

That's right.. go on and psychologically shut me out simply because you don't want to admit that I'm correct in my assumption..

As we all know, American football is the best from a business perspective:
1.) It's cheaper hosting the Super Bowl than the world cup
2.) The Super Bowl occurs every year
3.) Commercials during the Super Bowl average about $3 million per 30-minute spot
4.) The publicity from the commercials, half-time show, and actual gameplay contribute to record profits ($300 million economic impact on the local economy)

Also, American football is the most popular sport in any single country.. about 40-50% of all Americans tune in to watch the Super Bowl (~150 million worldwide). The average attendance of an American professional football game is about 68,000 people compared to 16,000 attendees of American soccer, 33,000 attendees of American baseball, and 34,000 attendees of England premier league games.

In my opinion, it's obvious from football's dominance in America as to which sport is most popular :)

uh, no

every country in the world APART from america has soccer (the real football) as one of thier top 3 sports

1) yes, because less teams play and its not global
2) the local tournaments e.g the european cup, the african cup of nations all happen inbetween the world cup.

Also, you are confused about how the world cup works. Teams DO NOT play againsy eachother, Countries do.

e.g manchester united do not play liverpool in the world cup, but germany plays against england.

these national teams take players from thier normal teams , which wastes MONEY hence it not happening all the time.

Also, most of the time between world cups is spent qualifying as it takes ages

3 and 4) a 30 minute advert? and the world cup does generate huge revenuses. Look at the billboards and sponsors like coca cola.

In fact, the world cup is allegedly worth about 1 billion pounds to the UK as it boosts sales of tvs, barbeques etc...

No. About the same % of british people watch the world cup. And theres a greater number of people worldwide who play soccer, just look at brazil, japan.

and the reason theres less attendees is because duh, england is smaller place

Here, American football is the most exciting and most watched sport.. while soccer is boring, and the least watched professional sport.

american football is boring to everyone apart from americans. its people running at eachother. football (real football) requires skill

on that note, why is it eve called football - you hardly use your feet

I suspect the rest of the world will one day catch on, and American football will reign as the most watched sport in the world! :)[/

i doubt it.

and we all want to be like america, dont we - NOT.

uh, no

every country in the world APART from america has soccer (the real football) as one of thier top 3 sports

Uhh okay.. this had what to do with my argument? Right..

Also, you are confused about how the world cup works. Teams DO NOT play againsy eachother, Countries do.

Hmm.. I did not mention anything about teams playing each other.. another random tangent that has nothing to do with my argument...

3 and 4) a 30 minute advert? and the world cup does generate huge revenuses. Look at the billboards and sponsors like coca cola.

Yeah, about $3 million per 30-minute advertisement. I'm not saying the world cup doesn't generate revenue, but just that the Super Bowl actually has a much larger positive impact on the economy (due to considerably less expenses). Uhh the Super Bowl has sponsorships too :P

In fact, the world cup is allegedly worth about 1 billion pounds to the UK as it boosts sales of tvs, barbeques etc...

lol.. Ever been to an American super bowl cook out? That's what I thought...

No. About the same % of british people watch the world cup. And theres a greater number of people worldwide who play soccer, just look at brazil, japan.

Once again you are having problems reading my argument.. I said the most popular sport in any single country. This latest super bowl broke quite a few viewership records.. 97.5 Million Americans tuned in.. Considering that not many countries have populations like ours (and those that do, suck ass anyway).. I doubt any other country has had ~98 million of its citizens watch some sports event

american football is boring to everyone apart from americans.

Yeah, aren't we all that matter?

and we all want to be like america, dont we - NOT.

Surely you jest :P

Looks like FIFA is winning Josh.

haha.. for now! :P

lol
They are both fine games really, except Football as in FIFA football, is I would say more popular and well know world wide. Having the World Cup competition happening every 4 years, and many of the countries around the world playing football helps. Not many countries play American Football, because it would then not be American Football, seeing as it is not played in America. :P
But it's a sport, and people like what they like.

As for my taste, I like to see the actual player, not just a highly padded uniform and a faceguarded helmet. That looks too robotic and unhuman.

That's right.. go on and psychologically shut me out simply because you don't want to admit that I'm correct in my assumption..

Psychologically, aren't we using big words, I would call it common sense. Enough said!

'Psychologically' is a big word? Hmmm...

PNEUMONO­ULTRA­MICRO­SCOPIC­SILICO­VOLCANO­CONIOSIS
Now that's a long word :D
It is; a lung disease caused by breathing in particles of siliceous volcanic dust.

You are right Serunson!
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a long word, but pneumonosuperultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is even longer.

Not quite sure what that has to do with football, unless you play inside a vulcano.

Volcano*
:P
But i have been beat, nice find lardmeister.
But back to the topic at hand, everyone has the choice to like or dislike something. If lots of people don't like something, doesn't mean it's rubbish.

exactly

If lots of people don't like something, doesn't mean it's rubbish.

You are my kind of contrarian!

American football is a bunch of overweight yahoos in expensive padded gear running into each other, chasing an almond shaped ball. Hardly a game of strategy and, as long as you run into the right direction, no need for brains.

Come on, I have dated a couple of football players, and that overweight is all muscles! They may not be very smart, but then, for the moment, who cares?

Come on, I have dated a couple of football players, and that overweight is all muscles! They may not be very smart, but then, for the moment, who cares?

hehe ;)

The comparison between the two sports is unfair to both. The only thing they in common is that they are both played on a really big field. A more judgement would be rugby vs. australian rules football.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.