Please tell me. I was called a Geek by my little sisters and by some people online. Girls don't seem to call me a Geek. I play highschool football. I like girls. I play video games. I go out. What exactly is a Geek? What do you think? I can fight well. Am I a geek? I get good grades. Am I a Geek? What could make me a Geek? What is a Geek?

What is the origin of the word Geek?

Please express the meaning of Geek in your way. Just so I can have an idea.

Thanks. LOL
;)
(wierd topic)

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek

But generally people use it as an insult to hurt those who know about computers and get good grades in school while not being interested in what really matters to the ztupids (meaning girls, booze, sports, and dressing up just like them).

I see :)

well, it can also be a compliment in a way.. just depends on how you take it though...

What is a Geek?

jwenting.

The term was used to describe performers who would bite the heads of animals, or eat bugs, in freak shows or circus acts.

I don't know how the term came to describe techno-gadget-afficionados. I prefer "nerd" to "geek", personally.

Geeks play Subspace?

Geeks play Subspace?

Yes, but I figured out that I am a technology/computer geek.. Even though I don't wear the clothes.. Though actually, I dont know because I go outside.. Geek seems to be a good thing. I would prefer being called a nerd aswell. Though, nerds are considered "socially behind" sometimes.. I don't know.. :D

Hmmm, am I socially retarded? Or actively anti-social by choice? There's a difference! It really depends on the context and setting. I can put on a good act, if needed, and in certain settings can be sincere about communicating well, promoting goodwill and friendliness, and so on. But at the core, I either want people to leave me alone, or to do things my way. :) I think that makes me a "nerd", although many argue it simply makes me arrogant!

In any case, I think "geek" has evolved to connote an unconcious, uncontrolled, unbridalded enthusiasm about computer technology, to the exclusion of anything else.

In any case, I think "geek" has evolved to connote an unconcious, uncontrolled, unbridalded enthusiasm about computer technology, to the exclusion of anything else.

HUH?

Its a nerd thing... :)

Well said Thomas. I choose to not be politically correct, if that upsets people sometimes that's too bad for them.
Doesn't mean I'm socially inept, just that I don't give a damn about people who want me to conform to their way of thinking without regard for my own.

Hi everyone,

Here is what one of best friends told me what Geek means

Geek - Someone you make fun of early in your life and end up working for the rest of your life

Hmmmm. Kind of true don't you think

Richard West

either work for or have to pay insane amounts of money to in order for them to work for you :)

Geek is a person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media innovating something outside the mainstream being hyperinformed. :rolleyes:

I am not quite sure, but I think geek is used in a negative sense these days(big deal! like no one knows!!). I think I heard something like "Geeks are born, but nerds are made." From the quote it looks like nerd is a class upper than geek. May be nerd is a compliment and to get that you need to possess a great amount of skills and knowledge, whereas to be a geek you just need to "try hard to become a nerd", as long as you are not a nerd but trying to become one you are a geek.
That's what I understand.

Geek is chic. A geek is someone well versed in the latest technology with a strong passion and understanding of math and science. A nerd is a socially inept person with thick glasses and a pocket protector. Not all geeks are nerds and not all nerds are geeks.

In fact one word may have different meaning, this depends upon how you're going to relate it with your imagination. I relate "geek" word to a person who use his finite mind to navigate things from his infinite intelligence and want to be underground.
Some people may consider him a insane person. I also agree that even they might be a hacker, but definitely then I'll not call them geek. :-|

I'd say a geek is someone who likes everything that isn't trendy/cool. :)

Geek is chic. A geek is someone well versed in the latest technology with a strong passion and understanding of math and science. A nerd is a socially inept person with thick glasses and a pocket protector. Not all geeks are nerds and not all nerds are geeks.

I lack the pocket protectors... Does that make me a nerdy geek or a geeky nerd (and proud of it either way)? :mrgreen:

I'm a loser. I like to program instead of playing video games and watching TV.

geeks---well WE ARE ALL HAPPILY GEEKS AND NERDS ON THIS FORUM :)

Are we trying to decide how we label ourselves or how we are labelled by others.

I reckon I went through a nerd phase, because I had a bowtie that wasn't black, played battleships in science class, and had a calculator that you could draw graphs on. It got so bad, that I used to argue Particle Physics in the Pub.

Now i'm a wannabe Geek, but don't have the T-Shirt or the wristbands to prove it. But I can still count in binary, and do triple integration, so there is hope yet.

geeks---well WE ARE ALL HAPPILY GEEKS AND NERDS ON THIS FORUM :)

Speak for your bloody self!

I just happen to be a 'rough as guts' old bushie, who loves a gutsful of grog, enjoys going to the footy and hanging out with the blue singlet crowd, soends every minute he can filthy as a bush pig in shorts camping up the lake, and who just happens to make a living writing IT in between all that!

Where's the Geek or Nerd in there?

You know the best part of being a geek?

"The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth"

Speak for your bloody self!

I just happen to be a 'rough as guts' old bushie, who loves a gutsful of grog, enjoys going to the footy and hanging out with the blue singlet crowd, soends every minute he can filthy as a bush pig in shorts camping up the lake, and who just happens to make a living writing IT in between all that!

Where's the Geek or Nerd in there?

Somewhere deep inside....trying desperately to come out.

geek/nerd is a person who realises most of the people have less intelligence and deals with them accordingly which in turn makes himself relatively less social.And also ..acts normal and hence booring and hence less social. The face also reflects the intellect of a person and sadly..there is something about thinkers that it gives their face a property thats not very attractive mostly.this is my first message. i know what u guys r thinking...i dont think im a nerd.

Two Words Bill Gates

I think asking that question is the geek :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.