Wow, what a great response to the blogging competition. Lots of new blogs, and even more interesting postings. From everyone at DaniWeb a sincere thank you to all that took part, and we hope you will continue to intrigue, humor, annoy and inform us with your blogs even though the first competition has now come to an end.

After a lot of consideration, and lots of reading, the moderators have agreed that the following three blogs should be put to your vote to decide which wins the first DaniWeb Best Blogger competition.

In no particular order the nominations are:

Voting will remain open for 25 days, and at the end of the month the winner will be officially announced and the $250 Amazon gift voucher awarded.

Good luck everyone!

Recommended Answers

All 32 Replies

The term flipping 'eck springs to mind. Just to be nominated in the top three is an honour upon itself. My thanks to all, and to my fellow combatants^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H bloggers, good luck :)

M.

thank you for nominating my blog and I hope that people will vote for it, but the main purpose of this competition was to have people blog on daniweb so everyone should keep up their blogs

The term flipping 'eck springs to mind. Just to be nominated in the top three is an honour upon itself. My thanks to all, and to my fellow combatants^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H bloggers, good luck :)

M.

Mmm. I've changed my mind - I wish to pull out of being nominated if that's okay - I have my reasons for doing so, so if TPTB could remove me from the running I would be most grateful.

M.

Whassamatta...? Someone threatened you? :cheesy:

Oh, for crying out loud.

I have more important things to be concerned with for a start (namely a house move and an adoption) and secondly I blog because I want to blog and not because I'm aiming to win a prize. In the overall grand scheme of things I'm not sure what I would do with it to be quite honest if I won, and I'm also sure the other two people could put that voucher to much better use than me.

M.

commented: just kidding man. good luck. +3

I have more important things to be concerned with for a start (namely a house move and an adoption)

Cool. Good luck with your home. But who would want to adopt you? :confused:

Slow going with the votes here it is killing me.

Quite frankly, I'm insulted by that comment, and particularly from a moderator too. And since nobody has been gracious enough to remove me from the competition, I've nobbled my own blog entries. It would be nice if somebody could delete my entire account from DaniWeb too..

M.

The reason you have not yet been removed is because the entire moderation team has been currently deliberating behind the scenes about how to rectify the situation and make you excited about DaniWeb again. Additionally, Davey, who runs the contests, hasn't logged into DaniWeb yesterday or today (so far).

I PMed Davey to handle this the other day, but since Davey has not yet logged into DaniWeb it seems, I will go ahead and remove your blog from the contest. I wish you would have spoken to me privately about it before deleting all of your entries.

And just for the record, I voted for your blog.

As for WolfPack's comment, he lives in Japan, and I suspect that it was a language barrier that lead to him misunderstanding. I wish you all the best of luck with the adoption - I know it can be a very stressful time as one of my mom's close friends just adopted a newborn baby girl two weeks ago, after a very long struggle with a happy ending.

I just saw how you defaced your blog and to be perfectly honest, I'm disappointed in you. Instead of waiting for a response from myself or Davey (and I'm actually quite worried as to why Davey hasn't logged in for two days), or to wait to see if perhaps it was just a simple language barrier or miscommunication between two people from two completely different countries, you went ahead and publically defaced DaniWeb. Not only that, but what you did could be considered insulting to all of the members who took the time to read what you had to say and then comment on your entries. Not only did you deface your own words, but you defaced the words of all of those many innocent members whose comments now no longer make any sense.

You say: "And since nobody has been gracious enough to remove me from the competition, I've nobbled my own blog entries." You first requested this 24 hours ago. Davey, who handles and is in full charge of all of DaniWeb's contests as well as blogs, hasn't signed on since then. Once he does sign on, he will find in his PM box a message from me pointing him to take care of you. You, dear movielad, seem to be burning the candle at both ends. Calm down. Take a deep breath. And realize that there are people here from all different time zones, who work at all different times of the day, and are from all different countries, who speak all different languages.

What was it that deleting your blog entries was meant to accomplish? Was it supposed to offend WolfPack? Were you taking your frustrations out on me? Or on the entire DaniWeb community? If a particular member (or even moderator) offends you, we're all supposed to have tough enough skin that we can approach someone higher up the ladder and explain the situation, and have it rectified, and not have it go any further than that ... especially not so far as to deface not just your own posts but permanently ruin the posts of others as well. Please have more consideration than that for the other members on DaniWeb.

You have been a member of our community for well over two years, during which time we've spoken privately a couple of times, and through your posts and private messages to me, I've come to know and respect you. Therefore, from me to someone I feel I have come to know, I just want to say that I am rather disappointed in your actions.

Additionally, we do not delete member accounts, for the same reason already explained. Because members are attached to the posts they make, and when posts are deleted, they don't just reflect the actual member who posted them. They are part of long conversations and discussions, which no longer make any sense when particular posts are removed.

Movielad: That's a real shame, I think that whatever external stresses you have got the better of you here. The wolfpack comment was, it seems to me, meant in jest. If I had been around I would have honored your request, but I would have wanted to PM you first to make sure you really wanted to withdraw as you seemed so excited at first. It's a also a real shame that you took the action that you did WRT your blog, which was uncalled for I think. But such is life, and I trust everyone can move on.

Dani: I did mention that I'd be away for a couple of days on business, but was hoping to have at least some connectivity. Unfortunately, my notebook packed up on me while away (battery died a total death) and was unable to get near an Internet Cafe or alternative due to workload. So apologies for my silence, these things always strike at the worse time huh?

Everyone else: I trust that this whole matter hasn't spoiled an otherwise excellent blooging contest, a contest which was designed as a fun thing to encourage more people to blog, and enjoy their blogging. I sincerely hope that this will be the case in spite of the movielad hiccup.

commented: Diplomatically Handled. +3

Hello,

It is an unfortunate turn of events with the Blog contest.

To MovieLad, I wish you well on your external projects (the move and adoption), but I also wish for you a period of reflection on your immature actions.

Even in today's "wired" day and age, it is unacceptable to expect a volunteer organization like DaniWeb to review internal policies and make an action in 24 hours. Your request is very unique, and options were being discussed internally. A sudden change of heart on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part.

I realize it is likely that you are not going to return to reflect on our comments above and from those who follow me. I only hope that a curious reader will ponder your actions, and learn from your mistake.

When you are ready to return to the DaniWeb family, give us a buzz. I bet after a quick greeting, all will be forgiven, and life will move on.

Christian

Agreed 101%. Well said old chap...

Slow going with the votes here it is killing me.

That's why the voting runs until the end of the month, so that everyone who wants to vote can do so. I suspect that the votes will build up slowly over the period.

It is a very close run thing at the moment though, isn't it? How are your fingernails holding up? :)

Toulinwoek wins hands down. I'm deeply suprised at the voting turnout which in my opinion shows some obvious favoritism.

Good work Toulinwoek, you're the winner in my opinion.

Er, isn't favoritism the whole point of a vote?

Mind you, with the voting at 50/50 currently I can't imagine how things could be fairer or closer right now...

i guess theyre tied now.

Toulinwoek wins hands down. I'm deeply suprised at the voting turnout which in my opinion shows some obvious favoritism.

Good work Toulinwoek, you're the winner in my opinion.

Im not sure how you get this perception neither of us has been 2 or 3 votes ahead so far. As for why people might like my blog is because I am a very active member in the community and my blog gets exposure. Anything to further develop the daniweb community.

And, as I said before, of course the voting shows favoritism: what's the point of it otherwise? Doh!

And, as I said before, of course the voting shows favoritism: what's the point of it otherwise? Doh!

Sorry. I didn't know it was a member popularity contest (quality of content is why I think toulenwoek is hands down winner).... I'll stay away from it then in order not to cause any trouble.

Sorry. I didn't know it was a member popularity contest (quality of content is why I think toulenwoek is hands down winner).... I'll stay away from it then in order not to cause any trouble.

But that's exactly what I am saying: your favourite is Toulenwoek because you rate the quality of his blog postings higher. Other people will disagree, that's the nature of a vote.

I'm not suggesting it is a popularity contest based upon which member people like most, but based upon which blog they like best.

So no need to apologise, and please don't stay away either! Obviously we are just differing on how we interprete the use of the word favoritism in this case.

:)

Maybe I'm just different (imagine that):cheesy: Oh well, their both great blogs and support the site so what can I say... I think toulenwoek's blog is the better quality, but maybe it's just not on a topic everyone likes (and of course I mean no offense to the creator of the other blog... It's still very good and better than mine, obviously).

hey, i didn't mean to start an argument.

Man! What a tight race! This is both exciting and nerve-wrecking at the same time. One thing I have figured out: All those Oscar -nominated actors who make all that ballyhoo aout how "It's an honor just to be nominated" are liars. I want to WIN. I'm up against a worthy opponent, though, so it's fun.

And, Crash...thanks. Now, if only I could get hold of Ralph Nader and his backers...

Toulinwoek-

Reelax, you've still got half a month to pull ahead. :)

posted a new blog post probably my most content driven one yet.

So is it finally over?

And the winner is...

mikeandike22

Congrats, we will be in touch shortly regarding your prize!

Can I take this opportunity to thank everyone who took part, but in particular toulinwoek for giving mikeandike22 such a close run contest.

And finally, keep on blogging folks. There are more competitions and prizes in the pipeline...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.