BEST affordable DVD writer available...!!!

Hi everyone,

I am currently having SAMSUNG combo drive (dont know what combo means) which is i believe

cd rom + cd writer + dvd reader (NOT dvd writer)

SO I am planning to purchase DVD writer....???

Q. Which is the best DVD writer cum reader available for home desktop users...???

Q. Is it worth it or should i stick with my CD writer only...???

Q. plz suggest considering one which is compatible with all DVDs...and future technologies...???

Again Cost is not really an issue (unless it is exorbitant) but i should get value for money....

Remember plz....Ur recommendation is my verdict....

Thanks

sunando

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

any one willing to advice plz

(dont know what combo means)

It commonly refers to drives with DVD reading and CD writing capabilities - a combination of the two.

Q. Which is the best DVD writer cum reader available for home desktop users...???

I generally recommend either the Pioneer DVR-109 or the NEC ND-3520/ND-3540.

Q. Is it worth it or should i stick with my CD writer only...???

Depends on what you plan to burn! If normal CDs suit your backup purposes, then there's probably no need to upgrade. Stick with your current drive until you really need to switch or it happens to die.

Q. plz suggest considering one which is compatible with all DVDs...

The ones I recommended write both + and - blank media, along with dual layer + discs.

and future technologies...???

That's a big ask! Some manufacturers release new firmware for a drive so it can support new discs and/or writing technologies, but I wouldn't count on it.

A combo drive in a DVD-ROM drive that's also a CD Burner. But whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A LITEON DVD-Burner

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.