Anyone got a new iPhone yet? Just heard that www.intermedia.net will be offering email support for it.

Recommended Answers

All 52 Replies

The iPhone looks awesome.

Ugh. My brother got it and we've had nothing but problems with it.

Sure it has some great features, but everything is so hard for a non-techie like him to use... I had to set everything up for him.

iPhone= crap :)

I, yes I, just got an iPhone and I'm very happy with it. I migrated to AT&T / iPhone just yesterday from Verizon Wireless and a Treo 700W (Windows Mobile smartphone). I am a little pissed that I can't synch my contacts or email because the iPhone isn't compatible with any 64-bit Windows OS. Therefore, I'm forced to synch it via my mac instead of my shiny new Vista 64-bit PC which I currently use as my primary machine.

Thats why apple sucks. Isn't compatible with jack sh**. The iphone was way too buggy to buy right away. It's always good to wait for the bugs to be worked out before you buy a new hot shot product :P

>Anyone got a new iPhone yet?
Too expensive for me, and I don't think the service is even available up in Canada anyway. I like the look of it, but I can't really say much until I actually try it.

>the iPhone isn't compatible with any 64-bit Windows OS
I wonder if it was just time constraints that kept Apple from writing 64 bit drivers, or if there are major technical issues that might take another generation of iPhone to fix.

>Thats why apple sucks. Isn't compatible with jack sh**.
Remind me of that when I'm about to buy a Zune.

>The iphone was way too buggy to buy right away.
Citation(s?) needed.

Remind me of that when I'm about to buy a Zune.
Citation(s?) needed.

lmao the zune is compatible with everything.. besides MACs cuz they SUCK.

You tell em josh! :)
anti-iPod! :P

>lmao the zune is compatible with everything
Haha. Actually, now that I think about it, you could probably get the iPhone working on a 64 bit OS by using a virtual machine...

>besides MACs cuz they SUCK.
Using that logic, I could argue that the iPhone doesn't support all versions of Windows because Windows "sucks".

Hm.. no, that logic doesn't really work. Microsoft makes an mp3 that is only compatible with Microsoft products. Apple, on the other hand, makes an mp3 that is compatible with both apple products, and microsoft products. Hmm..

Hm.. no, that logic doesn't really work. Microsoft makes an mp3 that is only compatible with Microsoft products. Apple, on the other hand, makes an mp3 that is compatible with both apple products, and microsoft products.

But just before you said: Thats why apple sucks. Isn't compatible with jack sh**. Make up your mind, because you're contradicting yourself.

haha.. there is a difference. Not being compatible with apple doesn't mean much. You and a few others are the only people who use MACs :p

However, not being compatible with microsoft is like suicide. Good luck selling any product that doesn't work with microsoft..

haha.. there is a difference. Not being compatible with apple doesn't mean much. You and a few others are the only people who use MACs :p

You were essentially saying that Apple isn't compatible with anything. That's actually quite untrue, given the fact that the iPod supports Windows completely, and the iPhone supports 32 bit Windows. And how do you know that it wasn't simply time constraints that kept Apple from writing 64 bit drivers? It seems like they're doing their best to make their product as compatible as possible.

However, not being compatible with microsoft is like suicide. Good luck selling any product that doesn't work with microsoft..

Apple did it several times. And they survived.

Apple only survives, because without them microsoft would be broken up as a result of anti-trust legislation.

Is this thread about the iPhone? It's turning into a big Apple Vs. Microsoftt battle again.
Make a new thread for your anger at either side. Leave this thread just for whining about the iPhone being obsolete, because most have a phone and a MP3 player of some sort already, why spend that much more to get another machine that is just going to get scratched and end up as a museum piece as a 'useless failure' a couple of years later. Either that, or everyone on the planet will buy one.

Is this thread about the iPhone?

Yep.

It's turning into a big Apple Vs. Microsoftt battle again. Make a new thread for your anger at either side. Leave this thread just for whining about the iPhone being obsolete,

Whining without reason isn't much better.

because most have a phone and a MP3 player of some sort already, why spend that much more to get another machine that is just going to get scratched and end up as a museum piece as a 'useless failure' a couple of years later. Either that, or everyone on the planet will buy one.

If you really don't like the combination of devices, how come you're complaining now? The iPhone's idea isn't anything new, there are many higer-end cellphones that have similar functionality. The iPhone is just Apple's remake of it, and it seems like it's becoming an easy outlet for those arguments.

I don't understand why people can't have their own opinions, without arguing and explaining why every time.

I don't understand why people can't have their own opinions, without arguing and explaining why every time.

Have you ever seen a flame war? They tend to be extremely negative opinions about something without any reasons given to justify the reasoning. I'm always open to other opinions, but please justify them. Simply saying "the iPhone SUCKS" isn't enough. If you were to give some specific reasons (such as Dani when she complained about the iPhone lacking 64 bit Windows support), it adds quality to the thread. Get the idea?

I give huge kudos to Apple for ensuring the iPhone synchronizes not only with OS X Mail and OS X Address Book but also with Microsoft Outlook for Windows. It completely works with Windows XP and Windows Vista 32-bit.

Shortly after Windows Vista came out I purchased the latest Microsoft Webcam for my Vista 64-bit PC, and it was a couple of months before 64-bit drivers were available for it! For those of you who remember, it also took over a year after Windows XP x64 edition was released for Adobe to come out with a 64-bit compatible version of Adobe Acrobat - which has a HUGE presence in the Windows business market. Give Apple some slack for not having 64-bit drivers out right away for the iPhone.

64 bit computing isn't all it's cracked up to be. I wonder if by the time Apple writes the 64 bit drivers for Leopard, they'll have released drivers for Windows Vista 64 bit... (Shouldn't it be easy porting the drivers because they're both endian-based? I would think the only thing required to port would be the actual communication with the kernel.)

Here are some interesting reviews (both negative and positive) to hopefully give a better perspective on this whole thing:
http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07/18/pcwiphone/index.php?lsrc=mwrss
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201200060
http://ries.typepad.com/ries_blog/2007/06/iphone-just-goo.html
http://blogs.business2.com/apple/2007/06/apple-iphone-ne.html

Welcome to the internet.

Hm.. Also, I'm sure you could find drivers elsewhere on the web for the iphone.. I highly doubt some intelligent individual hasn't bought, and wrote his/her own drivers for the iphone.

In fact, when I first bought the zune, I had Microsoft Windows Xp x64 (sometime around January). And I discovered that the zune software wasn't even compatible with the 64-bit version of XP! Imagine that! Microsoft's own product not compatible with its own damn operating system.. lmao had a good laugh with my friend about that one.. but then I searched the web, and found a way to install the zune software on a 64-bit machine. Wasn't hard, but it does take a little research ;)

BTW.. I know this doesn't fit well with my argument for microsoft, and against apple. But again, I really don't like either... but I do prefer Microsoft to Apple.

Hm.. Also, I'm sure you could find drivers elsewhere on the web for the iphone.. I highly doubt some intelligent individual hasn't bought, and wrote his/her own drivers for the iphone.

I don't think it would be hidden on some site somewhere. Everyone would be flocking to it, and a quick google search on this turns up nothing but articles lamenting the lack of the said feature.

BTW.. I know this doesn't fit well with my argument for microsoft, and against apple. But again, I really don't like either... but I do prefer Microsoft to Apple.

There you go. You've admitted yourself that Apple tends to create products that are more compatible with other OSs than Microsoft. :P

The iPhone's idea isn't anything new, there are many higer-end cellphones that have similar functionality. The iPhone is just Apple's remake of it, and it seems like it's becoming an easy outlet for those arguments.

Well, i do know that phones now adays have the MP3 facility, but why? A phonw should be for calling and texting, not WAP, Bluetooth, Music etc.
Soon a phone will have no phone funtion at all! At the rate that they are adding in parts to it. Leave it at calling and texting please!

What I like about the iPhone is the interface is much more like a full featured phone and iPod and much less like a PDA with a phone feature, as Windows Mobile is. I think the iPhone makes a good primary phone.

Well a PDA is slightly obselete seeing as most don't have phones, and they are rather annoying, i see bennet on his every hour of every day almost :P
But what about the blackberry? They have phones and can do the internet better than PDA's can and probably beat phones internet services too.

Just found that www.intermedia.net will be the only host supporting exchange email on the new iPhone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.