Here is your chance to post some silly law you know of.

I found some gems:

The Royal York Hotel in downtown Toronto is required by law to stable your horse.

In England mince pies cannot be eaten on Christmas Day.

In Britain a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself into a policeman's helmet.

Also in Britain it is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside-down.

In the city of York it is legal to kill a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrows.

In Florida women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer.

Also in Florida it is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.

It is illegal in San Francisco for a man with a moustache to kiss a woman.

Recommended Answers

All 36 Replies

In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter.

In Canada, having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

In the UK, it is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour. It is also illegal to die there.

Wonder if they would arrest you, if you do so.

>In Canada, having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

um ow.

Think it's texas, it's illegal to buy beer after midnight on sunday, but you may purchase it anytime on monday. (wtf?)

>> In Britain a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself into a policeman's helmet.
I believe it's actually anywhere. But I'm not quite certain. It's been a while since I got that email ...

>> In Britain a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself into a policeman's helmet.
I believe it's actually anywhere. But I'm not quite certain. It's been a while since I got that email ...

Do Irish policemen wear helmets suitable for such relieve?

>In Canada, having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

um ow.

Think it's texas, it's illegal to buy beer after midnight on sunday, but you may purchase it anytime on monday. (wtf?)

It is illegal to buy beer in many US states on Sunday. It is also illegal to buy/sell/drink beer near a church or school. I think that makes certain that the pastor is not drunk giving his sermon.

>> Do Irish policemen wear helmets suitable for such relieve?
The Gardaí (Irish cops), don't wear helmits normally ... Their role appears to be more symbolic ... don't think they actually do anything.

An old Florida law states that only the missionary position is legal.

I think this is where the missionary is on top and the unchristian is underneath. One way to turn a heathen into a christian.

commented: Good observation +20

>> Do Irish policemen wear helmets suitable for such relieve?
The Gardaí (Irish cops), don't wear helmits normally ... Their role appears to be more symbolic ... don't think they actually do anything.

Their purpose is to serve as target practice for passing British troops.
Of course there have been no British troops in Ireland for almost a century so they've indeed lost their main purpose.
For a while they instead served as target practice for northern Ireland based terrorists of both sides, but that too seems to have died down lately.

. It is also illegal to buy/sell/drink beer near a church

Apparently that's ok where I live. There is a town about 25 miles from where I live there is a popular bar about 100 feet from the church. Raise hell on saturday night then go to confession on sunday morning.

It is illegal to buy beer in many US states on Sunday. It is also illegal to buy/sell/drink beer near a church or school. I think that makes certain that the pastor is not drunk giving his sermon.

Too bad, some of the sermons would drastically improve that way! If you are on the receiving end of a bad sermon or lecture, a little beer could help too!

In Florida, men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown. Tell that to Rudy! Of course he lives in NY or Texas.

In Saudi Arabia a woman that has been raped gets punished. She is presumed to have enticed the male. The standard punishment is 200 lashes with a whip and up to six months jail.

Of course there have been no British troops in Ireland for almost a century so they've indeed lost their main purpose.
For a while they instead served as target practice for northern Ireland based terrorists of both sides, but that too seems to have died down lately.

We pulled out the last guys from NI this year i think

Talking about Northern Ireland, there were/are some silly laws on the books there, like Catholic and Protestant kids could not share the same playground.

I think (though I'm not all that knowledged in history, Irish history to be specific), that they weren't laws just general religious segregation.

I believe there is some law in the UK that jews aren't allowed to wear chainmail...

youre into that chainmail stuff, arent you?

apparently it is legal for a man to go for a slash in public, so long as he does it on the rear wheel of his car, and his hand is on the car.

apaprently all boys over the age 14 are meant to do 2 hours of longbow practice a week , taught by a local vicar

Why do you say that? ;-)

Some of our statutes are as amusing as some of our statues.

I collect these:

- In Indiana, it is illegal to get a fish drunk.

- In Michigan, you are not allowed to possess a motorcycle helmet unless you own a motorcycle.

- In Boston MA, it is illegal to open an umbrella in the presence of a horse.

- In Nashville IN, the colors allowed on the exteriors of houses and buildings must conform to a short list of "historic" colors.

- California regulates consumer exposure to certain substances in products to the OSHA levels people who work in factories (and receive much higher exposure times) are limited to.

- In Indiana, it is required that parents take their children to get immunizations, but it is illegal to force a child to get into a car if the child does not want to.

- A Missouri law states that when two automobiles meet at an intersection, both shall stop, and neither shall move until the other has left the intersection.

- It is illegal in most states for welfare payments to be used to pay a mortgage payment, but if the person loses his house to foreclosure, it is legal for welfare payments to be used to pay a rent payment that is much higher than the mortgage payment was.

- In Philadelphia PA, it is illegal to walk backwards during a concert.

- In Montana, it is illegal to catch fish with dynamite. (huh?)

- California considers Valium and aspirin to be hazardous substances.

- There are several places where it is illegal to eat peanuts in church.

- In Maryland, any automobile driven on public roads must be preceded by a man on foot a quarter mile ahead carrying a red flag.

- In Indianapolis IN, people buying fast food must pay extra, to pay for the new Indianapolis Colts stadium.

- In Illinois, if you ever collected any public health benefits, the state can take your house when you die or enter a nursing home.

- It is illegal to bring certain models of foreign cars into California.

- It is illegal for people who bought cars in certain European countries to bring those cars with them when they immigrate to the United States.

- In Indiana, it is illegal to throw a pie at a politician.

- People in Illinois who are convicted of certain sex crimes lose their drivers licenses.

- In Afghanistan, it is illegal to worry a Cashmere goat.

- It is illegal for truck drivers to use engine compression braking on the Indian Toll Road in counties with populations between two numerical limits.

- In Ohio, it's illegal to eat anything while driving a car.

- In Chicago IL, it is illegal to own a musical instrument case unless you also own a musical instrument.

- Until recently, it was legal to sell and buy fireworks that fly or explode in Indiana, but illegal to set them off inside the state.

- In Kentucky, it is illegal to pester a horse.

- In several states, you have to have a drivers license to operate a motorboat.

- It's illegal to wear a false face on the street in several east-coast cities.

- In Bloomington Indiana, politicians have 24 hours after the election ends to remove their thousands of campaign signs from people's yards.

- In Florida, it is illegal to count absentee ballots from Navy servicemen on board ships, because postmarks are not placed on them.

- In one Massachusetts county, it's illegal to take an artifact out of the county if it was already there when the county was incorporated.

- Indiana's standard time is an hour ahead of the sun. Daylight-saving time is two hours ahead of the sun. So the sun doesn't rise in the summer until 8:30 in the morning, and it doesn't set until 10:30 pm.

- It is illegal for anyone except a shipping company to take any fresh produce into the state of California.

- Most states have laws unrealistically requiring certain distances to be measured by people driving moving vehicles.

A nice collection MidiMagic!

- In Indiana, it is illegal to throw a pie at a politician.

What I have watched coming from Indiana, their politicians deserve a pie thrown at them!

... all boys over the age 14 are meant to do 2 hours of longbow practice a week , taught by a local vicar

Excellent sport, I would lower the age to 12 though.

We pulled out the last guys from NI this year i think

NI is NOT Ireland. Ireland is the Republic of Ireland where you guys pulled out 80 years ago (if not longer).

In Thailand, it is illegal to leave your house if you are not wearing underwear.

Do they have "underwear police"?

NI is NOT Ireland. Ireland is the Republic of Ireland where you guys pulled out 80 years ago (if not longer).

I think this is way jbennet referred to the place as NI.

yeah i got confused about jwenting meant sorry

we pulled out of NORTHERN ireland recently

Again in Thailand, no one may step on any of the nation's currency.

In the Netherlands, soldiers have to wear hairnets, if their hairlength exceeds 17 centimeter.

dont they all have to have short haircuts?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.