I think a post voted up should be equivalent to post voted up with a comment. Same as for posts voted down. Seems unfair my reputation is still stuck on -1 after getting 6 posts voted up and only one post voted down with comment.

The above might not be such a great idea but maybe after getting 5 posts voted up without a comment can be equivalent to one post voted up with a comment. Same as for posts voted down.

However, it's not actually an issue but I believe there could be more balancing in measuring reputation points.

What do you guys think?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

after getting 5 posts voted up without a comment can be equivalent to one post voted up with a comment

Won't work because different members affect reputation in different ways when leaving a comment. The number of rep points that I affect are a lot greater then the number of rep points that you affect, so if 5 people upvote someone how would DaniWeb program know how much to increase rep points?

One of the reasons votes don't contribute to reputation is for the folks who have strong rep power to apply a mildly negative opinion without the risk of decimating another's rep. We could have implemented a way to choose how many point are applied, but that makes things more complicated and more confusing overall. Another reason is for folks who don't have strong rep power being on equal footing with those who do. It's an even playing field.

After diddling with the rep power calculations for ages, it was ultimately decided that the voting mechanic was also important and that it should be somewhat separate from reputation.

While the mechanic is combined, votes and reputation are indeed separate concepts with separate metrics in your profile. Reputation also happens to apply a vote because that only makes sense, but honestly that fell out of the implementation more than anything. ;)

My first question would be that if votes count toward reputation, what's the point of having both? Do you feel that one of them is unnecessary? That's not a rhetorical question either, feedback on how things are done is valuable for evolving the site into something that works well for everyone.

According to me Daniweb should do like this:
+1 rep points. for upvote
+2 rep point. for upvote with comment
-1 rep points. for downvote
-2 rep point. for downvote with comment

But for Downvote there must comment exist so that user/poster can know the mistake (for downvote: comment must be compulsory)
and then they can do this:
-1 rep point. for downvote with comment

commented: Nice Idea +0
commented: perfecto +0

@AncientDragon I did not know that. So maybe my 2nd idea was not so great either.
Just to clarify, you mean that if you up voted a post with comment it would be considered as a reputation point but if I up vote a post with a comment it would not affect the reputation points?

@Deceptikon

While the mechanic is combined, votes and reputation are indeed separate concepts with separate metrics in your profile

Yes they are separate in the profile, however, profiles are meant to be like that i.e. in detail. Actually its the reputation points that is shown next to the username while viewing the forums. Maybe we should not let the reputation points go under 0?

According to me Daniweb should do like this:
-1 rep points. for downvote
-2 rep point. for downvote with comment

That seems balanced enough.

Just to clarify, you mean that if you up voted a post with comment it would be considered as a reputation point but if I up vote a post with a comment it would not affect the reputation points?

Correct. With negative reputation points, your power to affect another member's rep is 0.

Actually its the reputation points that is shown next to the username while viewing the forums.

Solid point. Though there's a balancing act between showing useful information (which reputation is) and potentially showing so much information that it clutters up the view (such as if we added post quality score).

However, votes seem to be currently more popular than reputation, so perhaps we should show the post quality score instead of reputation. There are many options, unfortunately, and none of them will make everybody happy. ;)

Maybe we should not let the reputation points go under 0?

That would only benefit low quality posters and this very specific case that gets resolved over time as you attract positive reputation with high quality posts.

So when does one actually start to affect reputation points?

Does skill endorsements have to do anything with reputation points?

Maybe I will be stuck with -1 reputation point for a long time from now. Hehehe ;)

commented: Just 'cause. :) +0

So when does one actually start to affect reputation points?

When your profile lists power to affect other members' reputation underneath your rep points.

Does skill endorsements have to do anything with reputation points?

No.

Maybe I will be stuck with -1 reputation point for a long time from now. Hehehe ;)

Maybe. It's impossible to predict whether someone will simply vote or choose to add rep. But if you make a lot of high quality posts, it's not unreasonable to expect positive rep at some point.

Look in the member's profile and it will tell you the number of rep points that the member can affect when upvoting with comment (assuming he/she currently has positive rep). For example if I upvote your post (other than in Community Center) it will increase your rep points by 14 points. If Deception upvoted your post he will affect your rep by 13 points, and Deep Modi will affect your rep by 1 point. So if all three of us upvoted your post then your rep would go up by 28 points, not 3 points.

So if all three of us upvoted your post then your rep would go up by 28 points, not 3 points.

All this while I thought everyone affected the rep points by 1. 28 points would be great ;)

Now that I know more about how rep points are affected I guess it is already alright and sort of balanced :)

Yup, vote without a comment and you count +1/-1 and make a small impact to post quality score.
Vote with a comment and you still make that same small impact to post quality score, but you also influence the poster's reputation based on your own reputation.

Member Avatar for Warrens80

Just make sure u got up for me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.