Who doesn't like a good quote from time to time? Anyone got any good ones? I like this one from Contact:

First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?

Man, that movie's over ten years old now... weird.

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Here are some of my favorites:

"Look at this cheese! It has holes in it!" (The Wizard of Speed and Time)

"Move that crate! The light aint gonna get any greener!" (What's so bad about feeling good?)

"Isn't it elf-explanatory? I'm an elf." (Santa Claus - The Movie)

"What did I do on D-day? On D-day, I typed up the general's requisition for more toilet paper." (I lost the reference for this one, but it was a D-Day movie)

"Full speed afish!" (The same movie as above)

"The only requisition that's been filled is the one for more requisition paper." (MASH)

"Your hair is always combed, your suit is always white, your car is always clean!" (the great Race)

"Wow! A wall jumpin party. Just like back home!" (The Wizard of Speed and Time)

“Just being alive is such a lovely and wonderful thing." from 1 Litre of Tear.

Based on a true story, One Litre of Tears is about the life story Kitou Aya (1962-1988) a girl who had an incurable disease called Spinocerebellar Degeneration Disease (also known as SCA type 2; spinocerebellar ataxia type 2)at a young age of 15. Although the girl in the drama - Ikeuchi Aya, lived in the 21st century, her character was based on Kitou Aya's life, how she struggled and fought her disease and how she wrote her deepest thoughts until the last day she could hold a pen. Before she died, her writings were published including the poems she wrote while she is staying in a school for the disabled. This gave new hopes to people who suffers the same disease as she did and soon Aya received letters of appreciation and thanks from those people. At the age of 25, she succumbed herself into a sleep where she could no longer feel any pain.

Exerps from Harry Potter (book/movie):

Now that Harry's done me, it's time for me to do you.

I've got an unbeatable wand, come and have a go if you think you're hard enough.

Wands are only as powerful as the wizards who use them. Some wizards just like to boast that theirs are bigger and better than other people's

It's no wonder I can't get it out, Hermione, you packed my old jeans, they're tight

I followed it behind the shed and then it ... well it went inside me!

My wand acted of its own accord!

Your wand performed something unique that night ...

You'd be surprised, it's not all about wandwork, either.

I'm coming, Harry, I'm coming!

Lots of wand-words there.

Hermione: Now if you two don't mind, I'm going to bed before either of you can come up with another clever idea to get us all killed - or worse, expelled.
Ron: She needs to sort out her priorities!

"Neo... no one has done anything like this."
"That's why it's going to work."
(The Matrix)

Lots of wand-words there.

Reminds me of this (a bit off-topic, but what the heck).

"i can no longer allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, and the international communist conspiracy to contaminate and impurify our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack T Ripper

Dr. Strangelove

The TV Series Firefly, and its Movie, Serenity created by Joss Whedon (Of Buffy, Angel fame) has some brillian quotes:

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned.

Zoë: Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killin'?
Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

You wanna explain to me exactly why you got yourself all corpsified and mailed to me?

Why when I talk about faith, do you always assume I'm talking about God?

Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her home.

What're we expectin' to find here that equals the worth of a turd?

This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode.

the one's i can think of now...

You have a corpse in a car, minus a head, in the garage. Take me to it. <pulp fiction>

Why is a soap bubble round? Because it is the most energy efficient configuration. Similarly, on your planet I look like you; on K-PAX I look like a K-Paxian. <K-pax>

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! <Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind>

It's behind you Tyrone. Whenever you reverse, things come from behind ya'. <snatch>

o ya and
Fish, chips, cup o' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking-Poppins London <also snatch>

Mama always said life is like a box of chocolates- Forrest Gump

It's okay. He's just admiring the shape of your skull. - Fear and loathing in Las vegas.

I just watched Aliens vs Predator Requiem, best line of the movie was said by a character in a serious way, had the whole of the audience laughing out loud:

"But The Government Doesn't Lie to People"

Film: Aliens

Character: Newt

Quote: "They're dead! Ok? Can I go now?"

After being gently probed by Ripley about her parents whereabouts.

"This is Sparta!!!"

- The movie, "300"

Ma, I'm gona rip off your head and shit down your throat in the movie Dr Detroit when he is threating the town female mob boss.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
--Apocalypse Now

Here is mine:
life is too short, you have to spend more time with the people you love

Probably the most famous of all time -- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" (Gone With The Wind)

See others here

“Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.”

--Casablanca

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.