Which is more important to you most of the time? Getting the job done "well enough", or achieving a perfect solution?

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Done on time, as perfection is impossible with anything involving humankind.

Money.

When "good enough" means achieving perfection, what difference does it make?

I don't like your options. "good enough" rarely is, and perfection is usually a pipe dream. How about "good enough" versus doing it right? In that case I'd pick doing it right regardless of the time frame.

While doing it right is important, you also need to take time into account. Let's not spend five years on a solution weeding out a problem that nobody probably doesn't even care about...

>While doing it right is important, you also need to take time into account.
Yes, you do, but that shouldn't affect quality. If you have to throw more resources at the problem, so be it. If you need to remove fluff to focus on core problems, so be it. But if you can't do it right in a reasonable time frame, you shouldn't be doing it at all.

On the otherhand there are times when perfection is required. I don't want to jump out of an airplain with a parachute that was folded just "good enough" (I wouldn't jump out of a perfectly good airplain anyway, but you get my drift).

good enough is misleading. if a job can be done good enough then it is perfect if it solves the fundamental problem without creating more. in that case good enough should suffice.

but there is absolutely no point in doing a thing which does not solve the problem. and to do this specific thing when there is a solution which solves the problem but takes to long is even worse. in that case you have to make a decision. do you want the problem solved or not. if you do then you should do the thing that work no matter how long it takes.

so in the end you have to go for "perfection". as i said. there is little point of doing something if it saves time but achieves nothing or even not enough.

Definetly PERFECTION!!! (Which is sadly lacking more and more everyday)

Perfection!!!:'(

What I am getting from this is that doing a job
"well enough" is the "perfect solution" in most cases.

It's all in how we define "perfect solution" ... what we are willing to give up in the name of expediency.

> Speed or perfection?
Actually, it goes like this.
"Fast, Cheap, Good - pick two".

No, with high taxes, you can pick only one.

I thought it was: if the government is involved, you cross out "cheap" and pick one ;)

I would go for speed! By the time the user figures out the lack of perfection, you are already there with the next improved release. Just ask Uncle Bill.

>>fast, cheap, good.

eh sorry salem. but from an economics point of view fast is cheap all other being being equal!

>>fast, cheap, good.

eh sorry salem. but from an economics point of view fast is cheap all other being being equal!

Zuh? Please explain.

perfection for the best result...

No, with high taxes, you can pick only one.

Ah yes, gotta find a way to get a jab in about taxes of course. :yawn:

@enderx

>>zuh? please explain

labour is expensive. if you spend too much time working on something you waste time which wastes money. this money which had been wasted has to be paid in by the consumer. so if something takes long to produce thenit is expensive.

conversely if you make it quick you save labour hours which drives down the costs. so if it is made quickly it is cheap.

maybe salem meant good quality but takes a long time to produce and hence expensive vs mediocre quality but is produced quickly and in probably in large quantity.

absolutely perfection...

Perfect... ;)

perfection

If Bill Gates would have gone for perfection, Microsoft would never have sold one piece of software.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.