Dear members,

I don't know what seems to be wrong with my toshiba laptop 1400-s151 (hardrive 2 years old but still works fine)with window xp home edition. I have verizon fios with 1 MB download speed and 5 MB browsing speed. What happens is, when the power adapter is connected with the laptop to supply power from the power cord and not from the batteries the internet speed works perfectly fine. However, when i disconnected the power adapter from the laptop when the batteries are recharged to 100% , a messages appears on bottom right (where are the icons are ex: time, norton virus icon etc) that a local area connection or a network cable is unplugged. After that I get disconnected for 2-3 seconds but then it reconnects itself back as if i just connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. However, thats besides the real problem which is the speed becomes noticably slow (like dial-up with download speed less the 80 kbs from the usual 700-900 kbs) and it stays slow until I plug back the power adapter when the battery power is runing low. (its as if i go back to dial-up when running on batteries and back to fios running on power adapters...weird!) And when i do plug back the power adapter it gives me yet again the same message (a local area connection or a network cable is unplugged ) for 2-3 seconds then reconnects itself as if i again just now connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. And since the laptop is now running on power adapter and not the batteries the speed comes back to normal (from pervious dial-up speed to FIOS verizon speed). It has been doing this for over an year and i dont know why and what causing this (ran norton virus and other spyware tools but nothing changes). Therefore, can someone please tell me what is causing this and how I can fix the problem? Anything will help! I will be waiting for your useful suggestions and remarks!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

try to disable the power options. switc the computer to desktop mode. it will finish the batery off faster though

i hav already done it. any other suggestions please

i know i have something like this on my dell. it runs the network card at 1000mbps when in usual mode or 100mbps when in powersave.

just found a dell laptop here at work that does the same thing, and more so, usb in battery mode slows down considerably (our 3d sowtware stops being able to load cloud-of-point data from usb hdds). sent it over to the dell lab. they said it's normal, and I should just live with it

i know that in a thinkpad which i have you can change this behavior in he BIOS, cant try this on the dell (secondhand, lost BIOS password)

okay thanks for the useful information! anyway, do u think the probelm is because of my battery whichis more then 4 years old and last only 15-20 min (when it was suppose to last at least 1 hr. 30 minutes) because i over charged it many times?

shouldnt be

check the BIOS powersaving settings - particuarly anything that says about Network powersave mode

do you have software for configuring your network card? (i think intel cards have proset)

shouldnt be

check the BIOS powersaving settings - particuarly anything that says about Network powersave mode

do you have software for configuring your network card? (i think intel cards have proset)

how do i check the BIOS powersaving setting (if its not from the control panel which i alread checked it). and sorry but no i don't have any software where i can configure network card

to get into the bios you hit a key when the pc starts up

it should say somnething like hit del to get into setup

dont change anything unless you are sure you know what you are doing

to get into the bios you hit a key when the pc starts up

it should say somnething like hit del to get into setup

dont change anything unless you are sure you know what you are doing

do i have to go to the BIOS setting since i didn't change any BIOS setting for more then 2 years ago and the problem starting one year ago so i don't think it has nothing to do with BIOS setting?

oh ok i didnt know it only started a year ago, dont worry then

alsowhat do you mean by 1mb download and 5mb browsing speed?

browsing is downloading?

what i mean by 1 MB (1000 KB) is when u download a file lets say movie it downloads 1 mb per second. and the browsing speed is 5 MB. anyway, back tothe topic, does anyone else have anyother suggestions

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.