I have just got a new pc other died on me,Iwant to place the hard drive from the old pc to the new one, the OS is windows XP i have been told that the OS will not boot in the new Pc and that i will have to reformat it and reistall xp is this correct

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Yes. You could set up it as a secondary hard drive, but if you try to just place it in and go, you will come up with all kinds of errors, that will make you come close to formatting anyway.

Welcome to the site!

What your trying to do IS POSSIBLE,i have read many ppl transferring a win98se drive to another computer (Prev XP) and having a grand machine :)

Its involved but if you have enough paitence,you can accomplish this :)

Good luck!

Yes. You could set up it as a secondary hard drive, but if you try to just place it in and go, you will come up with all kinds of errors, that will make you come close to formatting anyway.

Ty for the quick reply will do as you suggest and set it up as a secondary drive

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.