Hello all-

I am new here and to IT itself. I have a Bachelor of Music degree. Currently, a music career is not panning out for me the way I'd like. I have a great interest in computer language; so recently I have decided that I would like to be employed in an IT related field. The field that interests me the most is Security.
Sorry if I sound totally oblivious, but where do I begin? Do I go to a school? If so, where and for how long? Do I go for certifications? If so, which ones? I keep reading people posting
"experience is the most important thing" in finding a job and education-wise. However, if I don't have any experience, how can I expect to get a job in IT Security or other IT field?
All intelligent responses greatly appreciated.
Actually, all responses are greatly appreciated- intelligent well-informed ones even more. Whatever.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Welcome.

Yeah, just like music, everyone starts at the bottom, whether they have a degree or not. Spend a while on the helpdesk, a while as a tech, and eventually you will progress up the ladder

Certifications + on the job experience as above are the way to gio

Why not put your music degree to work in the IT field. I should think you could get a job at one of the big game houses providing and/or writing music for the games. You might also want to get back in school and get another degree in computer science.

Member Avatar for boydcarter

I agree with the Ancient Dragon's lateral thinking. Put your musical abilities to work in an IT environment. If you are intent on changing fields, school is always an option.

Apprentice work as suggested by jbennet is also "right on".

I would add to their comments this one: Know yourself. Is your interest in "computer language" or "security"? Or some other nebulous "it-related field"? What were you happy with when you were in the music industry. Were you a composer, a director, a musician? Find your "sweet spot" in music and see if it relates to anything in the IT field. If it does, pursue it. But understand that you will probably have to give up the music; seldom can anyone be happy with two masters.

Why not put your music degree to work in the IT field. I should think you could get a job at one of the big game houses providing and/or writing music for the games.

It's probably quite hard to get a job like that. And the idea that such a job would have any meaningful relation to the IT field is laughable.

Why not put your music degree to work in the IT field. I should think you could get a job at one of the big game houses providing and/or writing music for the games. You might also want to get back in school and get another degree in computer science.

Perhaps instead of writing music for games, he can work in some IT industries that require domain knowledge in music.

I had a friend who worked in this company that develop Autocad, but she is just an average programmer. The reason she was employed was because of her mechanical engineering knowledge on top of her programming experiences.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.