My copy of InstallShield 12 has entered the countdown for end of life support and I am contemplating my $1000 upgrade fee.

I am interested in the community's opinion on the different install programs on the market today.

Is InstallShield really worth what they charge...

Is there something better out there, at the same price or (even better) less.

My installation requirements are fairly simple, however, I must support including merge modules, .NET installation, post build events, upgrades and install on Win2000-Vista.

JB

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

My installation requirements are fairly simple, however, I must support including merge modules, .NET installation, post build events, upgrades and install on Win2000-Vista.

If its .NET cant you use visual studio to make the installers? using the setup project type? It can also handle updating, web deployment, etc...

If its .NET cant you use visual studio to make the installers? using the setup project type? It can also handle updating, web deployment, etc...

It is a combination of .NET and non-.NET.

VS-generated installers are fine up to a point. They do not solve certain problems. For example, I have a VS solution which has multiple deployment projects within it (because of WCF internal services). VS doesn't give me a way to merge those .msi-generating projects together.

I also haven't found a way to pre-populate the dialog that comes up with the .msi file generated for installing a web service. I get reasonable defaults but I would like to change them to my own defaults. If anyone knows how that is done, I am all ears.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.