Windows media player won't play some "Movie Clip" files that I've downloaded. (note I say "some" - I've got other movie clips files that play ok).
What happens is that I double click on the icon and Windows media player opens and then it searches for codecs: "Requesting codec server.... locating codec server" etc and then it says "error downloading codec". But I've downloaded codecs recently.
I also did a Windows media player update, which was nice, but hasn't sorted this problem.
Incidentally if I copy these files to compact disc they play fine in my standalone DVD player on my TV.

Anyway the WMP error centre said this,

C00D11D1: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there might be a problem with the sound or video device, such as a sound or video card.

Your sound or video device might require an updated driver. To determine if an updated driver is available, see the Windows Update page at the Windows Update Web page at the Microsoft Web site, or see the sound or video device manufacturer's Web site.

Error ID = 0xC00D11D1, Condition ID = 0x00000000

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kris

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Your sound or video device might require an updated driver. To determine if an updated driver is available, see the Windows Update page at the Windows Update Web page at the Microsoft Web site, or see the sound or video device manufacturer's Web site.

Have you tried that? I would try what the error suggests.

-T

Yeah afraid I've tried that.

I've done a Windows update, Windows media player update, uninstalled and reinstalled WMP, same with the codecs.

It's weird, it'll play "Windows Media Audio/Video" files and most of my "Movie Clip" files except a few. Very odd

*Double post sorry*

Hm, if these have been obtained illegaly, (im not syaing they have been) that could be the problem, somthimes that stuff just plain old doesnt work.

EDIT: :eek: Double post, sorry bout that i was a little hasty on the mouse :rolleyes: Delete this please.

What do you mean by illegal though?

I just played these files on another computer in this house and I thought the same thing was happening - was searching for codecs and said codec error and then all of a sudden they played ok.

well, what i meant was, did you download them off the internet through a p2p program. Good luck with those links!

-T

A mate told me to download VLC media player - whatever that is - and I did and it plays the clips.
But I'm still not happy, I want them to play via Windows Media Player. Is there any way of working out what codec I need?

A mate told me to download VLC media player - whatever that is - and I did and it plays the clips.
But I'm still not happy, I want them to play via Windows Media Player. Is there any way of working out what codec I need?

what file type are the clips

Movie Clip.

Ok, are they avi, mpeg, or what. Need more specifics.

Movie Clip.

Right click on the file and check the properties ,for the file extention/type, .AVi .MPEG .WMA or what ever is there .

That's what I did, I right-clicked on it and clicked properties and it says "Type of file: Movie Clip". I take it that it should say something else then?

That's what I did, I right-clicked on it and clicked properties and it says "Type of file: Movie Clip". I take it that it should say something else then?

Hmmm, do this. Open up

My Comuter>Tools>Folder Options>View Tab>un-check hide extensions for known files

Then look at the movie file. what is the extension?

-T

:D Ah ha, it's an mpg!

Everything I've tried has failed so far... BUT something called AVIcodec has finally told me the codec I need. It's: Mpeg-1 audio Layer 2 [0xc0]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.