Precisely, and when a debate is being conducted all a person needs do is be mindful of the language they use and the fact that personally directed insults and/or abuse shouldn't be traded.

Avoid value-laden terms and qualify or verify the points you make and no-one can be offended. If people are using the rep system to 'punish' people whose views they disagree with they should stop doing so!

Precisely, and when a debate is being conducted all a person needs do is be mindful of the language they use and the fact that personally directed insults and/or abuse shouldn't be traded.

I haven't seen any reasonably bad language, and insults are part of debates. Don't you watch the political debates!

well, when say the presidential debates happen, they dont directly insult their opponents character, just there actions. But politicians do, however mudsling, which is looked down upon. So when they are insulting each other it is more or less "off the record"...So, insulting the person is not part of debating.

well, when say the presidential debates happen, they dont directly insult their opponents character, just there actions. But politicians do, however mudsling, which is looked down upon. So when they are insulting each other it is more or less "off the record"...So, insulting the person is not part of debating.

Did you watch the edwards vs cheny debate? I heard some pretty nasty things, but they were on the record.

insults are part of debates.

Not on Daniweb they're not. Even a cursory read through the 'Forum Rules' section of the FAQ will quickly demonstrate this ;)

Did you watch the edwards vs cheny debate? I heard some pretty nasty things, but they were on the record.

:rolleyes: alright, just because someone does something doesnt mean its right. If your getting down to just insulting each other, then its just a bash fest, and doesnt qualify as a debate.

Poll has been closed for a while and now the topic is also. Nothing is being added to the discussion, really :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.