Have you noticed that there are way more C++ developers than Java developers here in this community. See the comparison of the two primary forums:

Forum         On-line members        Threads       Posts
 C and C++     (50 Viewing)           2,941         14,622 
 Java          (18 Viewing)           1,212          4,976

Is it true that there are more C++ developers in general? Or just happens to this community only?

--Mark
http://www.geocities.com/herong_yang/
Free Tutorial Books on Programming Technologies

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Maybe it's just that more people need help with C++ than need help with Java :-)

I would say most C++ developers are also Java developers and vis versa(or at least know the languages interchangably). Also, the C and C++ forums are together. Even though they are closely related, it's still two different languages. One more thing, we run out all the people who want us to do their homework for them!

There are in the world more people knowing C/C++ than Java, it's true.
It's also true that many Java programmers also know C and/or C++ (and often several other languages as well, including Pascal, Python, Ruby, etc.), while many who mainly program C/C++ rarely know anything else.
And the more agressive stance against the lazy buggers who expect us to do their homework for them might indeed deter some from posting in the Java forum. But rest assured, if you have a legitimate question about a specific topic we're more than happy to lend you a hand with suggestions.

Hi everyone,

Another possible reason is that C/C++ has been around longer than Java

Richard West

that too, but so has Cobol :cheesy:

To be frank Java is not a language everyone runs to.
It is because if it is C/C++ you just need to study the basics you can increase your knowledge through the net etc
whether graphics or any other connected field where c/c++ is used.
core java is useless unless you specialize in something.
like networking imaging application develppment.
java is such a big field
a person cannot be a guru in it unless he has that much years experience or has tried his hands in variety programming areas of java.
there will always be something a java person does not know.
another thing is most schools and colleges still give prominence to c/c++ though i feel that trend is changing now
which is why people in java are hard to find
this is just my opinion though

To be frank Java is not a language everyone runs to.
It is because if it is C/C++ you just need to study the basics you can increase your knowledge through the net etc
whether graphics or any other connected field where c/c++ is used.
core java is useless unless you specialize in something.
like networking imaging application develppment.
java is such a big field
a person cannot be a guru in it unless he has that much years experience or has tried his hands in variety programming areas of java.
there will always be something a java person does not know.
another thing is most schools and colleges still give prominence to c/c++ though i feel that trend is changing now
which is why people in java are hard to find
this is just my opinion though

I think it's just the opposite. Also, schools and universites have switched from teaching most programming class in C++ to Java.

Java is indeed a lot easier to get into than is C++.
The larger core APIs are a main reason for that. No longer do you have to write tons of lowlevel stuff yourself (or find some often poorly documented 3rd party library which will likely work on only one compiler and OS which is always one you're not using) like you would with C++.
The documentation is also a LOT better.
Sadly this promise of a more easy start attracts a lot of people with no interest in learning at all, they just want a quick injection of knowledge to stuff their resumes.
These people disappear from the statistics as they fail to deliver but do increase the percentage of users dropping out.
With C++ these people never even try, and therefore the dropout percentage will be lower.

Hi everyone,

yni420 you said "It is because if it is C/C++ you just need to study the basics you can increase your knowledge through the net etc"

Seriously you know that's not true. If what you said were true colleges and universities aound the US would have gone bust by now. I have done C/C++ for many years and i can tell you for a fact that building applications in C/C++ is harder than in java.

yni420 you said "whether graphics or any other connected field where C/C++ is used"

I have done graphics applications with C/C++ and i can tell you you are are confusing C/C++ with winapi. If you tried to do graphics rendering say for example an application that is similar to PhotoShop you will lose your mind before the graphics actually renders

yni420 you said "core java is useless"

You got to be kidding.

yni420 you said "a person cannot be a guru in it unless he has that much years experience or has tried his hands in variety programming areas of java"

That's true for all programing languages. No one can truely know everthing unless they created it.

yni420 you said "there will always be something a java person does not know"

Like What??

yni420 you said "another thing is most schools and colleges still give prominence to C/C++ though i feel that trend is changing now
which is why people in java"

Java programmers are hard to find because number one like the people in the java forum are sometimes there to get their homework done and not really interested in much else.

Richard West

I think it's just the opposite. Also, schools and universites have switched from teaching most programming class in C++ to Java.

In india where i am from C C++ is still being taught java is till not considered......... but as i told that trend is changing and now the schools are jumping the gun and going for VB instead. dont know the logic behind it since VB is more less going out of use after the coming of VB.net

Java is indeed a lot easier to get into than is C++.
The larger core APIs are a main reason for that. No longer do you have to write tons of lowlevel stuff yourself (or find some often poorly documented 3rd party library which will likely work on only one compiler and OS which is always one you're not using) like you would with C++.
The documentation is also a LOT better.
Sadly this promise of a more easy start attracts a lot of people with no interest in learning at all, they just want a quick injection of knowledge to stuff their resumes.
These people disappear from the statistics as they fail to deliver but do increase the percentage of users dropping out.
With C++ these people never even try, and therefore the dropout percentage will be lower.

i have developed applications in Java
to be frank i never found the APIs with or without documentation make things easier for me.
the fact is java is tough language to learn and master.
and doing something in java is tough with or without the APIs.
the large no of APIs along with the numerous classes and methods are over whelming for some which is why people drop java after some time.

If you can't grasp the language even with the documentation, you shouldn't be in OO development.
Most likely you can't grok OO concepts and that's why you've trouble, you wouldn't fare better using any other OO language (and your C++ code most likely is just C code with some C++ thingies scattered across it).

Java is a tough language to learn, but so is everything else. It's tuff because it takes so much persistance and time to learn. Not many people have the patience and "want to" to sit down, read, practice programming very small crap programs for years and years to get good. That is why most people drop it. They want to read 10 pages, sit down and write everything in office xp better than it is. The bottom line: programming takes time, persistance, a lot of work, a lot of help, and a lot of reading. You can't escape those, and if you think you can, quit now.

Hi everyone,

Java is a tough language to learn, but so is everything else. It's tuff because it takes so much persistance and time to learn. Not many people have the patience and "want to" to sit down, read, practice programming very small crap programs for years and years to get good. That is why most people drop it. They want to read 10 pages, sit down and write everything in office xp better than it is. The bottom line: programming takes time, persistance, a lot of work, a lot of help, and a lot of reading. You can't escape those, and if you think you can, quit now.

Spoken like a true programmer

Richard West

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.