Hello everyone,

Well, Im leaving the U.S. Military soon and debating on whether or not to jump into the field of computer science for some kind of IT career...problem is...I'm not quite sure what I would like to do in this type of world for computers. I love computers...math.. and from the research I have done.... it would be a good combo...Although I don't know what type of career would fit, If anyone would like to share their story of what a day of work is like or any good webisite that explains in detail what types of IT fields are out there and in detail of what they do. Programming, Networking Data , and security is most I have found... any help out here in the friendly world of IT's would be much appriciated, thanks.

P.S. I love computers and my other idea for career choice is Electrical/ electronic engineer and would those two work together as 1 career choice?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

i hate my job.

what exactly are you good at with computers? no offense, alot of people say they are great with computers but no nothing much past facebook.

IT fields can break down to a lot of things
networking, repair, software, hardware and so on.

i mean i dont even know what im classified as at my job anymore.

start by asking yourself what part of the it field you are interested in, and go from there.

Haha ... that's a good question... I don't really know how to answer that first question .... I know how internet and computers mesh together ...but I know how to use properties and settings on computers..I'm very well organized with files and such..if there is a problem non virus wise, I have always solved usually....I guess what my main question would be is ..what. pros are there in each field ... I am about to start college but with a big question mark in what to major in .....I don't know if info tech security would be my calling or what exactly the other fields ..do ...

If you don't mind me asking why you hate your job ? ...and what you mean by not sure of what you do anymore ?

well, i never went to college. i did some certifications (comptia and a bunch of dumb ones, basically just to test myself). i started my job as a design 'assistant'. my programming skills got noticed and i started doing software development. then it turned into general support desk and software development (for the software i developed and the computers in the company). then it switched to all that and database administration.. to keep a long story short, now it has evolved into email admin, network admin, systems admin, developer, marketing, security admin, help desk.. and more.

all for the same pay as a design assistant lol.

don't get me wrong, i love technology. I don't like working with people that dont understand technology but want results and the best with everything but dont want to listen to anything.

as far as being organized, i think that is GREAT. i say this because if you have strong organizational skills, i feel you are on a good start already. I am the same way. I like solid directory structure. I try to keep my active directory structured to the T. whenever i came here there was no organization to it and everything was mixed together. Same with everything else. it was just there and bandaids where put in place whenever something didnt work.

if your not great with viruses, i dont recommend a general pc tech position. most of the time the calls i get revolve around virus or email problems. and my response most of the time is: the problem is normally located between the chair and keyboard.

if you like to be organized, and are interested in security, i would check into networking and/or security. Those are fields that are very commonly forgot about in this day when implementing IT systems. and whenever disaster strikes, companies are more than willing to pay whatever needs paid to have the issues corrected and put in place.

i dunno, just a suggestion

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.