As stated in my intro thread, I am currently in an online Master's program for Computer Information Systems. I plan on doing the database concentration, but I'm not really sure how "technical" I want to be. I have had no IT experience in any capacity whatsoever. None. I can read and understand MySQL, but can’t really write much successfully beside INSERT statements, table scripts, and a few simple join queries.

All of my work experience is clerical/administrative. I really like the idea of creating or optimizing operational processes for businesses. That’s really what ignites my passion and dedication. Although computer information systems play a fundamental role in accomplishing that goal, I’m starting to think that they are not the end-all be-all for every business. With that in mind, in looking at job descriptions, it sounds like a systems analyst or data analyst position might be a good fit for me….but I don’t know what all is out there or how to find it really. Google searches and trolling job websites can only get me so much info if I don’t really know what to look for.

So based on what I’ve told you, and your professional experiences, where would you all suggest I go from here? Should I invest the time and money to learn some programming languages and start in programming? Or should I try to move into something more business-oriented? I’m just not sure and don’t feel I really have the experience to choose the right career path to pursue. Any constructive suggestion/piece of advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Id suggest investing time in learning programming..even if you do end up in a field that doesn't require much programming, it's always helpful to know. Not to mention, the practice helps with problem solving skills and critical thinking :)

If you can read and understand SQL already, you're closer to being able to write it than you think. Id suggest embracing the fact that you're clearly a natural, and using it to your advantage.

Get your feet wet in both concentrations, and after getting experience, pick whichever one you feel you're not only best at, but enjoy most.
You can always expand your knowledge on an area, but you cant "learn" to like a specific career.

As Jamie mentioned, you already have a feel for it, try and get at least one language under your belt, the rest will follow.

Good luck with your career.:)

Thank you both!

Its a pleasure.:)

If this has answered your question, please mark it so by selecting "Is this thread answered" at the bottom of this page, thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.